What lancing device is the best when testing regularly?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks,

I'm not impressed with the lancing device that came as part of my prescribed testing kit. I also have a Codefree meter which I keep in the car, & the lancing device in that particular kit is even worse. Like many others who tests regularly, I'm prone to sore, bruised fingertips, even when following a safe common-sense procedure for collecting capillary blood. I alternate fingers, don't test on the pads, use the lowest lancet setting, change the lance every time...in fact I've implemented all of the advice received from forum members regarding testing practice. Annoyingly, I'm losing sensation in some fingertips, & I'm tired of having sore bruised fingers. So, can anyone recommend an uncomplicated lancing device which is gentle & has several depth settings. I'm sure there must be a device out there that is gentle & not ridiculously expensive. All advice gratefully received.

Alison. X

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi alisonjane10, i've tried several....best for me is accu-chek nano lancing device which i use 4 times a day, also , the point that u test ,use the side if finger tip ( less nerves there)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Accu-Chek Multiclix/Fastclix lancing devices are the best on the market IMHO.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For truly painless testing, Dr Bernstein recommends the Genteel lancing device:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Accu Chek Fastclix, which I find very good apart from the fact I can't aim where I want it to prick very accurately. This may be user error!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

I'm not impressed with the lancing device that came as part of my prescribed testing kit. I also have a Codefree meter which I keep in the car, & the lancing device in that particular kit is even worse. Like many others who tests regularly, I'm prone to sore, bruised fingertips, even when following a safe common-sense procedure for collecting capillary blood. I alternate fingers, don't test on the pads, use the lowest lancet setting, change the lance every time...in fact I've implemented all of the advice received from forum members regarding testing practice. Annoyingly, I'm losing sensation in some fingertips, & I'm tired of having sore bruised fingers. So, can anyone recommend an uncomplicated lancing device which is gentle & has several depth settings. I'm sure there must be a device out there that is gentle & not ridiculously expensive. All advice gratefully received.

Alison. X

I'm certainly not suggesting this is the case for you Alison, but I found the biggest difference I made was changing my technique. Now, I hold the lancing device to my finger, so that I can hardly feel it, then fire it off. I then, almost always, apply a little pressure between the middle and tip-most knuckle to see a spot of blood appear. I don't squeeze hard, as that's unhelpful in terms of the sample quality. Of course, sometimes the lightness of the touch of lancing device to finger can be so light it doesn't effect a puncture, but it's so much better for me.

Doing that has made my fingers much more comfortable.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
accu check fast clix always good for me,and I do only use it the once,just trying not to make a mess of fingers haha

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Accu Chek Fastclix, which I find very good apart from the fact I can't aim where I want it to prick very accurately. This may be user error!
Glad I'm not the only one with that problem - never was very good at darts!!

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I'd recommend the Accuchek FastClix. It really is pain free and is the best one I've ever used.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Thank you to all of you who have replied to my post. It would appear the Accu-cheek fastclix has the vote. I will look at the technique I'm currently using, just to ensure my practice is good. I appreciate your time & advice folks.

Alison. X

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I test between the cuticle of my nail and the first knuckle.
It is (for me) much less painful than the side of the finger or the pad / finger tip! Yeouch!

Ooh er! That's unusual & sounds like it could be painful for me. Each of us has a technique of our own I guess. Thanks for responding to my post.

Alison X

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is (for me) much less painful than the side of the finger or the pad / finger tip! Yeouch!
Ouch!!!!! I have enough problems getting blood from the side or pad of my fingers, and having looked between my hair cuticle and first knuckle joint, i think that I'd have real issues with your way!

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi @nomistheman,

Guess what, I tested on the site you described, & I was surprised to find that yes...it wasn't painful. So, I'll be testing from that area again. Thanks for the tip.

Alison. X

bwoo1978

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
For truly painless testing, Dr Bernstein recommends the Genteel lancing device:

My daughter uses the Genteel lancing device. We heard about it though Dr. Bernsteins podcast. She's 5, and is a recently diagnosed type 2. We got it shipped over from the US about 2 months back. She's loved it.

At first, she was slightly put off by its larger size than her FastClix just on appearance, but I showed testing on myself first, and then she gave it a try... She had a shocked look on her face when she saw blood but didn't feel the prick. Compared to her FastClix which was pretty good, but it's like comparing a luxury item vs a freebie. So clearly there would be differences...

We haven't gone back yet. The consistency of the blood drop is what I like (apart from the less pain aspect).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people