Type 2 What makes a Diabetes support group work for you?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Hi
I am in the process of setting up a new diabetes support group in my town - Dursley. As someone newly diagnosed a year ago, I don't have any personal experience of a diabetes support group or what works for people - ie help to manage our condition. I have some particular ideas about the kind of group I want to be part of but I would especially like to hear from members about what works and what doesn't work for you and why. Also, if you live in the Cam and Dursley area and want to find out more about the proposed group do get in touch. Many thanks
Miriam

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JesusisLord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am in the process of setting up a new diabetes support group in my town - Dursley. As someone newly diagnosed a year ago, I don't have any personal experience of a diabetes support group or what works for people - ie help to manage our condition. I have some particular ideas about the kind of group I want to be part of but I would especially like to hear from members about what works and what doesn't work for you and why. Also, if you live in the Cam and Dursley area and want to find out more about the proposed group do get in touch. Many thanks
Miriam

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I think all diabetic groups should just buy dumpbells and weights benches... And have food charts teaching people how to avoid sugar... And every week people shoulf bring food in.... Maybe take turns. The obvious rule being... Zero calories from sugar and absolute minimum calories from other carbs. Ive mada a zero carb chocolate cake! (stevia vanilla whey protein coco powder eggs cinnamon) Adding 1 beetroot in blender adds a little moisture to the mix and shouldnt effect blood sugar. Topped with fake chocolate.... Coconut oil stevia and coco powder.... Nice.

What could be interesting is maybe monitoring blood sugars after different types of food... Ie if i eat ice cream or potatoe my blood sugars go nuts... But sweet potatoe is a lot less.... And red wine has no effect on my blood sugar... Only tried one type, a chilean cabernet sauvigon i think it was.

Reactions: miriamy