What numbers to ask for?

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Since I joined this forum in early July I have received a lot of help and good advice, for which I thank you all.
I have a Diabetic clinic scheduled for Friday and was wondering what numbers I should ask for so as to give you folk an idea of how (if?) things have improved?
Usually I'm told some number that I forget and only pay attention to the 'this is better' or the more likely 'this is worse'.
As I'm on medication for cholestral and high blood pressure (although only marginal in both cases) I'm interested in them, and my weight as well.
I'm hoping to post my results, probably on Tuesday, together with some information about my diet and exercise.
thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The one you need to ask for is your Hba1c .this tells you in a percentage,what your blood sugars have been for the last 90 days.If it is below 7% then it is good.Take a pen and paper with you so that you can write them down! Also your cholesterol,not just the total number but all the parts.HDL,LDL Trig.If you can also get the previous results that will show how you are improving.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi gefmayhem,

When you get your results you should make a note of your HbA1c level. This will give you an idea of your average blood sugar levels over the preceding 3 months or so.
Since you are on cholesterol lowering medication too, you should also make a note of you HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, chol:HbA1c ratio and triglycerides. This will give you a good picture of your coronary risk.
By the way, if you smile and ask politely, they will photocopy the result sheet and let you keep it.
Good luck and keep us posted.

All the best,

fergus

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi

I take a printout of a spreadsheet and fill in the numbers as the nurse does the tests. Labels I have on the spreadsheet are:
Date of appointment,Weight,Blood Pressure,Kidney(urine test), Liver (annual check) BG (finger prick reading),Hba1c (annual)Cholesterol (our clinic will only give total figure), triglycerides.

Hope this helps
Val