What other uses could a glucose monitor have?

joelcam

All,

Bit of a stange one but hopefully will throw up some good useful ideas!

If you could add a second use to glucose meters that did not need to be (but could also be) diabetes related, what would it be?

Stuff like - A meter that could also check your tire pressure...I wouldn't want one of them really but you know what I mean....just for humour purposes....or maybe a meter that turned into a mini digital photo frame when it was not being used....or one that turned into a small mirror for the ladies to use....I think I might copyright idea number 2 because that's gonna work....ha ha!

JC

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely would like to see it measure blood pressure too. How easy is it to measure cholesterol?

Once upon a time diabetics could only check their bg by going to hospital - hopefully we'll all be looking back at these meters in 20, 30, 50 years time and laughing at how primitive they seemed.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
shedges said:
Definitely would like to see it measure blood pressure too. How easy is it to measure cholesterol?

Once upon a time diabetics could only check their bg by going to hospital - hopefully we'll all be looking back at these meters in 20, 30, 50 years time and laughing at how primitive they seemed.

10 years ago, some meters were working by colour comparison. Last year, Flora sent out a chol test kit which worked by colour comparison. Looks like a useful possibility to me, though it would only give total chol. But perhaps not - it did not need a meter.

How many simple tests are there? Water quality - pH, & many others - but these work with the right test stick without a meter.

I think insulin users would find additional uses, for more comprehensive meters.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
More of the meters could do cholesterol and ketones. Some one might find them useful.AND Hba1c!!

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Calclator, calclator and again, a calculator.

Not so much for me, fortunatly my brain doesn't have a problem with maths, but i imagine it would be very useful for a lot of people calculaing insulin doses.

That, or a GPS system on it so I do't get lost.... again.....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
isn't a lipgloss uselful then JC?! :lol: :lol:

a mobile phone perhaps? wow, can you imagine if you could test on your Blackberry?!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our old meter tested ketones, the new one doesn't so I'd like to see that come back.

Another idea could be to have it capable of working out carb content of common meals or food items, or perhaps a feature to store carb info for your favorite restaurant menus. It could connect via USB to your computer so that you can download info about things like nutritional info for menus etc before you go out.

It would be handy to use it as a mobile phone, or at least be able to make 999 phone calls and perhaps also store data about the user like Dr contact details, next of kin, etc.

Gazhay

I was working for a medical devices company when diagnosed.

They are producing a body worn device which will detect hypos from all kinds of non-invasive signals. I'm sure in the next few years we are going to see lots of new devices, or extra functionality built into existing devices.

bazippy

My dream is that they eventually make a blood glucose watch, you wear it and it tells the time and your blood sugar levels!bring it on!

neededthat

well i'd like one that actually gave the same reading off the same sample :D not much to ask,i'm easy to please lol.
no but seriously a meter that you could put a test strip on to the food your about to eat and would give you a read out of the amount of carbs in it. :D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Neededthat,
I love that idea!! Brilliant. :D
I thought the mobile phone/meter idea was good till I considered how many times I misplace my phone throughout the day. Worry too that the more complicated the meter, the more things that can go wrong with it. Also phone batteries have a tendency to flatten if you chat too much, that would be a problem.
I have a prob getting just one strip out of my freestlye lite pack sometimes, I've nearly lost the lot on the floor; so a compartment in the meter for 10 or so would be handy.
Jus