what pump

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
who gets to choose the pump,is it just what the hospital prefer or can you pick your own

kt78

Everyone in the UK is meant to have the choice of 6 devices currently recommended by NICE.

This is not the case - usually because clinics will have some sort of 'deal' with a supplier or for practical reasons, such as healthcare professionals aren't familiar with all the devices and it can be difficult in group training scenarios if they are 6 people on 6 different pumps.

If there is a specific reason you want one kind of pump and that is different from those offered at your clinic you will probably have to argue your case. It also may affect which pot of NHS money your funding comes from and so may mean it takes you longer to get access to it.

This is not meant to be the case - there shouldn't be a postcode lottery - but at the moment there is.

Please see the input advocacy website for help:

http://www.input.me.uk/

All the best!

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I allegedly was given a choice, but when it came to the crunch it was Accuchek or Accuchek. However have to say there was a remote possibility of two others, but there was a definite push towards one. I hope this helps.