1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what snacks do you eat?

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by willogs, Aug 29, 2009.

1. willogs

willogs · Well-Known Member

I am a (constantly hungry) pregnant type 1 lady who needs advice. If you feel peckish between your meals, do you snack? If so on what? I had a dietician tell me that a snack up to 15g of carbs is ok? do you agree? If so things like milky ways are ok. I don't low carb so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. mullaneder

mullaneder · Well-Known Member

i like green apples,the sourer the better,and i find that if you are longing for somthing sweet that this can actually get rid of it.somtimes i will have a small amount of mixed nuts,i also like a couple of slices of wholegrain bread with some low fat cheese.to bulk it up i will put in some pom bear crisps,i dont know if they are available in the uk,i get them in tesco in ireland,they are shaped like teddy bears and i get a bit of banter off the lads in work but they are really nice and i havent come across anything that comes near them,i also like some wholegrain ryveta with low fat spreadable cheese .hope this helps

dermot

3. willogs

willogs · Well-Known Member

Do you take any insulin with these snacks?. I have to try and keep my my BS around 6 which difficult asI find a small snack raises them up to much. I have been honeymooning up till the pregnancy which is making it all the more difficult to understand how much insulin I need and when, as about 3 units of levimir and 4 units of novorapid spread across the day used to do me, I am now on 5 levimir and 30+ novorapid.

4. mullaneder

mullaneder · Well-Known Member

sorry willogs i cant help you as i am type 2 on metformin

dermot

5. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

hi willogs

I very rarely snack, but if I do it can be anything, from crackers and cheese to a piece of fruit or even dare I say it a couple of biscuits..

I'm assuming that you are on the basal/bouls regime for your diabetes...

The rule of thumb that I got taught for snacking...

10g of carbs no action (but I must admit that I woud check my levels, and then decide to by this whether to inject or not)

Again if you are eating the snack, and it's not going to be long before a main meal, wait until you eat your main meal, then include this with your count...

I hope this helps a little..

It's quite a while since I had my last daughter (she will be 18 in October) but if my memory serves me right, Insulin needs to increase as you go through the pregnacy, I think that it's in the 3rd trimister that it might start to drop back again but I'm not 100% sure... But I can remember increasing visits to the diabetic clinic and the last 3 months being weekly to have my insulin adjusted...

6. nabser

nabser · Active Member

I have found the last month or so i am nearly always hungry one side effect of byetta that has worn off me,but between meals its mainly fruit and water that i would have,also the odd biscuit or two,i was told to use plain (digestive or rich tea or fig rolls) biscuits,

7. mangosue

mangosue · Member

Type 1 on insulin 2x day. Snacks was always a major prob. I use half an apple with a thumb size bit of cheese, or 1/2 Nairns rough oat cakes (low GI) with a smear of peanut butter, or 2/3 strawberries cut really small with a tsp low fat Greek yogurt, or 4/5 cherry tomatoes mixed with 2/3 finely chopped blk olives, a cube of feta cheese well crumbled, some oregano, squeeze lemon juice and a bit of olive oil.

Or a tsp mixed seeds with low fat cheese - definitely no digestive, rich tea or fig newtons - they elevate my BG by 2 or more mmol. or 2/3 almonds, tsp walnut bits 1 macadamia nut

I also drink loads of water, sometimes warm with a few squeezes of lemon juice. AND nibble nibble nibble to make it last longer.

I find now that I don't need to snack as much but always have something prepared in fridge just in case to avoid the biscuits.

I found interesting recipes on line and in various diabetic cookbooks and then through experimenting according to what I like to eat. Crazy about cooking so always trying something new. Hope this was of some help.

blessings

8. adrian29459

adrian29459 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Willogs.

I snack loads! I'm not a big eater on meals but I believe snacking is better for a persons diet. Why have a big meal in the evening if you're just going to sit on the couch the rest of the evening and then sleep? It'll all just sit on the waist then and not get utilised. Just my opinion.

As far as snacks go I usually don't go too far above 15g. A milky way a very bad choice, mostly all sugar so it'll send the blood glucose levels shootiung up and down quickly. I tend to have lots of cereal bars, I pick the ones with the least "of which sugars" per bar and generally higher fibre ones tend to be healthier and keep you fuller. Fruit is good, a medium sized banana or apple will keep me going 1 or 2 hrs depending on my activity levels and my current glargine dose.

Also crisps are pretty good since they have no sugar. Quavers, french fries, squares. I try to pick lower fat and carb ones. Quavers particular don't do much to my blood glucose levels. Though you can have biscuits (I know I do sometimes) I think its best to keep away since you tend to have more than you need. One is enough. And when I say biscuits only hobnobs, digestives and rich teas, chocolate ones I only have if I know I've got some energetic activity coming up.

Hope I've helped!

9. dipsticky

dipsticky · Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Shazza

Shazza · Well-Known Member

My Son is Type 1 on isulin twice a day, i feel I,m constantly looking at labels and trying to find snacks, mostly its cereal bars with lowest sugar, quavers wotsits etc, dried fruit, low fat pancakes and the usual hob nobs, rich teas and digestives always on the look out for ideas tho :D

11. Useless Pretty Boy

Useless Pretty Boy · Well-Known Member

If you're pregnant, I'd suggest a heavy duty meal replacement bar. One of those protein packed things you get in Holland and Barret. Take a single unit of insulin with it and you should be fine, I'd suppose.

12. kentishman

kentishman · Well-Known Member

This is not going to make me very popular but, so what?
    Why snack? It is probable that this habit has caused the obese nation we are turning in to.
    Have three good meals a day and forget about eating between. Hunger is a state of mind that can be controlled and is sometimes caused by boredom.
    Type 1 might need to top up to prevent sugar loss but type 2 do not . If they snack and raise sugar levels and then have a meal the levels go even higher and there is little control.

13. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you eat nutrient rich meals (plenty of veg, etc...), you will not get hungry between meals, and not feel the need to snack...

If you are constantly ravenously hungry (and I know EXACTLY what you mean), maybe you are eating the wrong type of food for your body type?

14. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Why do low carbers have to constantly get involved on this board?

The question was a valid one and was asking for ideas about snacks.

We are now being told by low carbers that if we ate properly then we wouldn't need to snack.

I eat properly and I snack,my eating plan encourages it and I don't have problems with my blood sugars so please leave us alone.

No one knows the right or wrong way to manage other people's diabetes so please just be experts in your own care.

15. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Catherine is right! Please do not derail the thread.

The question is what snacks to eat ? not what you should be eating! If you find you have no need to snack then ignore this thread and move on to another.

16. Useless Pretty Boy

Useless Pretty Boy · Well-Known Member

Or maybe she's pregnant?! :!:

And thus needs a @!*%load more food than a person normally would? Almost every pregnant woman is constantly hungry, and is kinda MEANT to not stop eating. Creating a 3/4 stone worth of baby in nine months is the most growth intensive and nutrient demanding part of life. You'd honestly argue for restricting a fetus's nutrient intake just for the sake of a little low-carb dogma?

People, nothing against you, but that's NOT cool.

17. FUSILIER

FUSILIER · Member

I have to snack in mornings , I have breakfadst at 7 am but by 10 or 1030 am ready to eat anything that is at hand, but I have two slices of SPELT & RYE BREAD with Peanut butter on,that keeps me going unto lunch time at about 12 30, I do not snack in afternoons as my lunch meal of sandwiches made with same bread is enough until evening meal at 6 30 pm, I do not have anything after that to chew , but have a glss of warm milk at about 9 30 pm. on occasions I have apple, or other fruit with my bread at 1030am

18. SophiaW

SophiaW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My daughter is on basal/bolus so we try to avoid too many snacks between meals otherwise it upsets her good control. She has one small snack at 10.30am which is two ritz biscuits and three cherry tomatoes, she seems to be able to eat this without raising her BS too much, actually without the snack she tends to be too low by lunch time. When she gets home from school each afternoon she is usually hungry. Usually this isn't too much of a problem because she does sports clubs most afternoons which means she needs to eat a carb snack before the exercise. But for those afternoons when she's not exercising I try to give her a snack with a low carb content, otherwise we do a higher carb snack but a Novorapid injection to cover it.

Example of a lower carb snack which she enjoys is any combination of cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, black olives, cherry tomatoes, slices of red or orange peppers, snack cheese like babybel or cheesestrings, ham, a small handful of pecan nuts or almonds, couple of strawberries, hard boiled egg, raw mushrooms, pepperami stick.

If she's hungrier than usual then we'll do a carb snack (which tends to be more filling for her) with an injection, usually this is a sandwich or some crackers and cheese with fruit such as a banana or apple.

I hope that gives you some ideas. :D

19. sugar-rush

sugar-rush · Member

i try not to eat snacks.
    but if i do usually
    1 biscuit
    an apple
    a cereal bar
    or a pack of quavers

very rare for me to snack though
    i dont like to

20. jumbleannie1VDJQ

jumbleannie1VDJQ · Well-Known Member

My preference is for a lump of cheese and an apple, with a digestive if feeling really naughty. :oops: Never have liked milky ways so that is one thing I have never snacked on.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook