What time to eat breakfast?

Sookie

Dislikes
Confrontation, Ignorant people and Darkness.
Hi!

I wanted to know what time you think I should be eating breakfast. Every morning from when I get up till about 8am my sugar levels are in single digits 7-9 and at 10am my sugar level goes up to double digits 10-15.

I normally have breakfast at 10am every morning, I can't really stomach food before that :( I always do my injection at this time too.

But that means that for a few hours my sugar level has sky rocketed. My husband thinks I should have breakfast earlier when my readings are normal and do my injections then too.

I'm not sure on what to do, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sookie.

I think it is a matter for you as to the timing of your proper breakfast........I am like you, I wait till later for the 'real deal'. Feel sick at the thought of eating before about 10am. What I do is perhaps have a slice of toast not long after waking with a Coffee.

My waking Bg's are usually in the 5's so even if they rise a little before breakfast because I am on Metformin and Byetta my post meal levels are well controlled.

Maybe your Insulin dose/s need adjusting, what type of regime are you on. Basal/Bolus ? When do you inject and what amounts. Might help if we know that to give you some better advice. :)

sugar2

Hi Sookie,

As an experiment...try not eating until lunch time one day...and measure your BG every hour, to see what you back groundis doing (I am assuming that you are on basal bolus insulins?) If you stay steady until lunch time, they you know that your back ground is right. If it is not, it may be teh timing of that you need to look at. If it is OK, then I would say (for what its worth!) that it is not the time that you have breakfast that is teh issue, mire the amount of insulin you take with breakfast...or possibly the amount of time between injecting and eating?

Sookie

Dislikes
Hi Cugila!

I'm on Novarapid and Lantus, not sure what basal/bolus is...sorry!!
I take 5 injections a day:
10am - 20 units of Lantus, Novarapid base 10units plus 3units per 10g of carbs I eat
2pm - Novarapid base 10units plus 3units per 10g of carbs i eat
6-8pm - 20 units of Lantus, Novarapid base 10units plus 3units per 10g of Carbs I eat

I split the Lantus injection into 2, as my morning readings were as high as 19! My nurse suggested splitting the dosage into 2 parts which has reduced my levels in the morning.

Hope the above made sense!

My injections units are high because prior to October this year I hardly every injected and lived in denial :(

I really want to sort my morning readings out more than anything, I have an appointment to see a Doctor at the hospital instead of my GP practice and hopefully they can help me with some issues i am facing. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thanks for the info Sookie.

I am hoping a T1 will come along soon and may be able to advise you now we have a little more information.

I'm a T2 not on Insulin so really cannot offer too much advice.......I am sure once they see you you will get a good answer or two....... :D

Sookie

Dislikes
Hi sugar2! I think I might skip breakfast and test out your theory. I have been thinking maybe it is my background insulin that may be causing my high readings in between me waking up and me having breakfast & injecting.

I understand that the Lantus maybe not last for 24 hours, it might be 17-20 hours long. I could increase my evening Lantus dosage and see what happens...?

I'll see what happens tomorrow :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sookie,

I would eat at the earliest oppertunity as this sounds like Dawn Phenomenon to me as your bg increases significantly as the morning moves on, by eating breakfast upon waking this should halt the process and keep your bg in single figures providing your breakfast ratio is correct.

Try this for a day or two, if your bg continues to climb you may need to increase your evening lantus dose.

Nigel

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Be careful when increasing the evening lantus dose though as it can impact on your lunchtime ratio and possibly make you go too low later in the day.

pavmas

I never eat breakfast, have a bannana if below 5 and a cup of tea with fruit sugar, first meal is 4.30pm and take my insulin then my lantus at 7 and thats me I just have a bit of fruit in the evening and maybe a bit of toast to take me to 6.6 before bed so I wake up at 5.4.