What time to test

tmv5658

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am Type 2 and am trying hard to get off medication (I have worked my way down from Gliclizide and 3 x metformin to 1 metformin.
But I am unclear if my BG test in the mornings should be at the point of getting out of bed or just before breakfast ( ie after shower and dressing etc ) .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Better to test before your shower etc. My routine is as follows, out of bed, wee, wash hands, test.

Reactions: DavidK59

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Oddly, I tend to test on waking. ("Schooldays") then again after the prep routine for work & walking the hound, just before I set off? I don't do breakfast, but find the liver occasionally dumps during the hubbub.. It's also to check just before I drive to work.
There can be a 2point rise?

Then prior to a meal & 2 hours after. Then just before bed... Of course I'm a T1 & on hypo inducing meds that also need calculating on the dose for any carbs consumed.. (Along with the insulin running in the background.)

I'll tag in @Bluetit1802 & maybe inviting a virtual slap if I've spoken out of turn? ;):)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

As @Guzzler said, best to test as soon as you visit the bathroom after getting out of bed, before any activities such as showering or rushing about. That is your true fasting reading. You may also want to test again after normal morning stuff before you eat your breakfast. You are likely to see a rise, but this is normal. Are you also testing your meals? Before you eat and at least 90 minutes after first bite? (2 hours after is the general rule). You could also test at bedtime to compare this with your fasting level. Don't forget to record all these readings so you can look for trends.

Well done on reducing your meds. That is brilliant. You must be doing something right.