What To Do If You Miss A Dose Of Background (24h) Insulin.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Good evening everyone. :)

I forgot to take today's dose of Lantus Solo and I'm thinking 'what do I do'?

My glucose level is 9.6 which is normal when compared to my average for this time of day.

I have been taking it at 18:00 - 18:30 pm. Time is now 22:50.

My thoughts are I should take it now.

What are your thoughts.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could take this evening's dose less 20% to be on the safe side and then go back to your normal dose tomorrow.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi robert72. I missed the notification email saying you had replied. Thanks for your reply.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been started on 12u Lantus. So 20% of that is 2.4u. I will round that up to 3. So 3 from 12 is 9. So therefore I should take 9. Do you think that's ok at this time of night?

Sorry but what does basal mean? :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been started on 12u Lantus. So 20% of that is 2.4u. I will round that up to 3. So 3 from 12 is 9. So therefore I should take 9. Do you think that's ok at this time of night?

Sorry but what does basal mean? :)
Now that you're almost 6 hours away from your usual time then I guess 25% less would be OK.

Basal insulin is your background insulin (Lantus).

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OK... spot on m8. Thanks so much for your time. :)

Reactions: 2 people

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This happened to me and my DN advised that up to 12 hours late, halve the dose or have a full dose and change my dose timing. Over 12 hours just miss completely and that it is nothing to worry about. I'm on Lantus too.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks LinclonLizzie.

That sounds about right yes.

I had not eaten any dinner yesterday evening so what I ended up doing was having a late meal. So I did not have any Lantus at all but had NovaRapid with my meal. I woke up this morning and checked my level and it was 14.6 which is average for me at this stage. So I think what I did worked nicely. However I dont think it's a good solution overall. I think what other people and yourself have posted here should be the way to go as people dont normally eat a main meal at 00:30... or at least they shouldn't :)