What to do??

dobber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I know this has been asked before but....

I have changed doctors. My old Dr how had a keen interest in diabetes told me to check my bloods twice a week - twice a day. Fine so far.

My new drs are saying as I am type 2 and on meds not insolin I only need to check once a week. :shock: So which is it? Oh she did say "it makes your fingers sore anyway" well I suffer from fibromyalgia anyway my whole body hurts :lol:

Dean

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Dobber.

You're right, it has been asked before. :) However, the answer is the same. If you are not testing how can you tell what your BG levels are ? It matters not whether you are a T1,T2 etc. Testing allows you to see what certain foods do to your Bg levels and allow you to keep control of your Diabetes.

As far as I am concerned, neither of them is right as neither advocated frequent testing. Twice weekly, twice a day, once a week......means absolutely nothing. I test anything between 4 and 8 times daily, mainly because I want to know exactly what my Bg levels are. My control is excellent.

My fingers don't hurt a bit ? My fp is set at it's lower setting.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Dobber
your new doctor is counting the £sand pence, NOT your health.
My PCT is like this too and won't fund test strips. So I'm one of the many who fund our own. i buy from Abbott diabetes Care, who supplied my meter. their service is quick and efficient and they offer a lifetime guarantee on the meter and exchange batteries free of charge too.
Buying strips from a pharmacy is VERY costly. the suppliers give good service and Ebay can be a bargain, if you have a popular meter
Just check out the ebayer's record and pay with Pay Pal . you'll be protected.
Hana

Doczoc

You should test on waking, before each meal, an hour after, then two hours after, then before bed.

However given the reluctance to prescribed this isn't do-able, the approach I took was to say it was a short term thing to fid out what foods spike me so I can gain control. Seemed to work with my doctor!

FordPrefect

Once you have your condition under control and have an idea of what different food does to your blood sugar then ultimately I would consider testing more than once a day to be a little excessive but until you have achieved control you need to test as often as needed which is probably at least 4 or 5 times a day.