What to do ?

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

I have been a T1D for 12 years now, and I have recently graduated from university. I want to know how to deal with employers during job interviews concerning diabetes. Should I tell them at the time or wait until I get the job and then tell them ?! Wouldn't that hurt my chances getting the job opportunity ? (My field of sutdy might actually require some physical efforts and field work, but I suppose I can cope somehow !).
How do you manage your hypos during work ?
What are your advices, and I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you managed such situations if you have some experiences.

Thank you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your diabetes were to be a barrier to you doing the job (as it would be for, say the armed forces), then I feel sure they would have done some form of screening at the point of application.

In your shoes, I would ensure I didn't tell any lies on my application, but thereafter let them know at an appropriate time.

Did you manage to control your diabetes at Uni? If so, what makes you feel it would be very different when you're working?

As a healthy, well controlled T2, I don't have hypos, so I have no wisdom to offer you in that regard.

Reactions: 2 people

BeMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you manage to control your diabetes at Uni? If so, what makes you feel it would be very different when you're working?
Kind of. I had some hypos during classes and even when doing field work while studying, but I always manage it properly. The thing is I'm a geosciences engineer, and any work related to that would require constant physical efforts (at least for a couple of years). And I'm not sure employers would appreciate or take the risk of having a type 1 diabetes working for them, though I can avoid severe hypos and manage the slight ones.
Thank you for your help and advice.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of. I had some hypos during classes and even when doing field work while studying, but I always manage it properly. The thing is I'm a geosciences engineer, and any work related to that would require constant physical efforts (at least for a couple of years). And I'm not sure employers would appreciate or take the risk of having a type 1 diabetes working for them, though I can avoid severe hypos and manage the slight ones.

Unless you work at height, offshore or some other extreme, I doubt an employer could use it as a reason not to employ you. If course, they would be silly to come out and say so anyway, but for the time being, I would hold my tongue.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Physical work is no barrier for anyone with diabetes. I worked on farms for many years doing anything from milking cows and hay making, hay making included stacking hay by hand. Just cut your insulin and make sure you have hypo treatment handy at all times.
I've had type 1 for 51 years and lived to tell the tale :)

Reactions: 3 people