What to drink?

JimmyD

Hi all, tried the search function but could not find an answer. I am trying to remove the use of Aspartene(think that's how you spell it!!) from my daughters diet(type 1). My problem is fluid intake, she is 5 and doesn't drink a lot, will not drink water. She has no added squash but this has aspartene, what if any other squashs/drinks could I use or do you use?

Thanks for any help or ideas as normal squash appears far to high in sugar.

James

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
James try this search " aspartame " you will find 129 posts on this subject on the forum,please have a look, then,if you can't find the answer please ask !!
Have deleted the duplicate post from youth club forum.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This is a problem, because most low sugar squashes have aspartame, which isn't much good for anyone. You'll need to do a lot of label reading.
I think I would try diluting real fruit juices in water. Gradually increase the proportion of water over time, to ween your daughter off the sweet taste.
There used to be some products designed for infants which I remember as being completely un sweetened. Have a look in the baby food aisle.

JimmyD

Firstly I will read all the posts.

Hanadr, thanks very much this is what I was thinking about trying I just hope it doesn't shoot the blood sugars up too much, thanks again

alf15

Sorry to jump on this post, but why cut out aspartame?

Is to much bad for you? If so what are the effects?

Thanks

Alan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aspartame. What you should know. Here is an extract:
Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain

Take a read of this link for the full article: http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

Ken.

alf15

right, i never knew that...but i did a google search and came up with this site, that is saying that it is fine?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14556707/

And on the FDA website i found this:

Q. Do low-calorie sweeteners cause adverse reactions?

A. No. Food safety experts generally agree there is no convincing evidence of a cause and effect relationship between these sweeteners and negative health effects in humans. The FDA has monitored consumer complaints of possible adverse reactions for more than 15 years.

For example, in carefully controlled clinical studies, aspartame has not been shown to cause adverse or allergic reactions. However, persons with a rare hereditary disease known as phenylketonuria (PKU) must control their intake of phenylalanine from all sources, including aspartame. Although aspartame contains only a small amount of phenylalanine, labels of aspartame-containing foods and beverages must include a statement advising phenylketonurics of the presence of phenylalanine.

Individuals who have concerns about possible adverse effects from food additives or other substances should contact their physicians

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You are quite right. Two sides to every story.

The problem is for every positive site comment and 'research ' you find there are half a dozen more with the opposite view. Me, I know what I believe. You pays your money and you make your choice. At least you have seen both sides of the argument.

Strange though how Coca Cola are trying to find another sweetener rather than Aspartame to put in their drinks. I thought it was supposed to be safe ?? :?

Ken.

Marky74

If Coca Cola thought it was dangerous, would they sell it... Not worth the law suits.

I have never been a big fan of diet drinks before, now I don't have a choice if I want to flavour water :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Law suits ??

Coca Cola is a billion dollar worldwide company. They are still delaying progress in any law suits that have been taken out against them. As are the other users of Aspartame. Remember how tobacco companies did the same ?

This was just one law suit which is still ongoing taken out in 2006.

http://www.channelu.com/Articles/Aspertame/lawsuit.html

Aspartame is a neurotoxin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotoxin

Diet drinks contain it too.

Here is a link to up to date info from around the world:
http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_news.htm

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Anyone who reads Mercola, take note, just because he's an obvious nutcase, doesn't mean he's always wrong.

gbtyke

Our breakfast / bedtime drink is now Ribena Really Light. 1 carb - but does contain low level Aspartame.

moonstone

In answer to a couple of posts, Coca Cola use Stevia in Japan because they can. And have done for guess how long - forty years. Think about that - where they can, they do not use aspartame. Stevia simply isn't licenced for use in this country or the US for drinks. Why would that be...? What a big business aspartame is. And the link to MSNBC - that 'news' outlet (if you can call it that) is part of what is called the MSM (or mainstream media) which is mostly owned and controlled by big business and political affiliations, so why on earth would anyone with access to the internet to find out true information listen to a word said by any of those people. Be discerning, but start with not believing the MSM as a default and be happily surprised if you find out that they said something true.

Off to work and have no time to reread this, hope I haven't started a war but we've got enough problems have we not, without being also potentially poisoned by nothing but what I believe, from memory, was an industrial waste product that Donald Rumsfeld, yes that's right Donald Rumsfeld, managed to get approved as a sweetener by the FDA because his company couldn't dispose of it cheaply. I learned all this years ago before I became a T1 and I used to feel dead sorry for poor diabetics and now I'm one of them. Bring on the Stevia...... herbal sweetener... no known side effects and used in Coca Cola in Japan for the last forty years.... hmmmm.....

Lilybean

hi there,

i've spent the last 6 months since being diagnosed with type 1 in finding a suitable squash. i was told by the dietician that if i alternated the drinks with sweeteners in then this was better but i've found VIMTO. the normal one is actually very low in sugar/carbs and tastes yum. i half less of course than i would have had normally but it doesn't affect my bs level at all and still tastes nice using less.

also robinsons has bought out a natural range which is similar. this needs to be kept in the fridge but they are the best ones i've found so far with are normal drinks with no sweeteners at all.

x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Just a word of warning about the new Robinson's fruit drinks. When the makers claim they don't contain sweeteners, what they are actually saying is that they contain "natural" sugar instead of artificial sweeteners. If you have a look at the nutritional info on each product you will see what I mean:
Orange and passion fruit
Carbs per 100ml = 52.6g (extremely high)
of which sugars = 52.6g

Apple and strawberry
Carbs per 100ml = 54.1g (extremely high)
of which sugars = 54.0g

Blackcurrant and pear
Carbs per 100ml = 55.3g (extremely high)
of which sugars = 55.3g

Even diluted on a 6 to 1 basis as they suggest, each drink will have a very high amount of sugar.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Dennis is spot on with that information.

The only Robinson's Squashes to use really are the one's labelled NO ADDED SUGAR.
The content of the Fruit and Barley version is:
Carbohydrate.......1.7g per 100ml
of which Sugars....1g

Does contain Aspartame and Sacharin.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
The best reason for not using aspartame is the "FOUL" taste. Stevia is apparently pleasant. I've never had it. I use Splenda as having an acceptable taste in coffee. I also use the powdered Splendqa in cooking, with a dash of fructose to imrove flavour and texture. Fructose itself has issues :?