what to eat before, during and after a mini triathlon

christiearras

I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 and am preparing for a mini triathlon in September. I've asked people what they eat (squeeze goop, chocolate, etc.) and wonder what would be recommended for a diabetic. After a k swim I get very shaky and sometimes my sugar levels drop below 5, so I wonder how I'll cope putting the three challenges together. What should I take/drink to help stabilize my sugar levels? Thanks, Christie

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
What does a mini triathlon mean?

Is it the same as a sprint? 750m Swim + 20k Bike + 5k run?

If it's less than 2 hours duration, most non-diabetic athletes wouldn't bother eating.

An elite athlete would use up to 500kcal of glycogen per hour = 125g of carbohydrate
An average person exercising at moderate intensity would use 150kcal of glycogen per hour = 38g of carbohydrate

Since your muscles contain 300-500g of glycogen, and your liver contains about 70-100g of glycogen, burning 75-250g of glycogen during 2 hours of exercise shouldn't get anywhere near to exhausting your supplies.

If you're really worried, why not put a few jelly babies in your pocket?

Whatever you do, make sure you practice eating whatever you eat during training. If you're not used to eating carbs then suddenly introducing them during a race can easily lead to a "Radcliffe moment".

christiearras

Borofergie: The mini triathlon is 400 m swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run...rather walk for me. It will take me more than 2 hours. Are jelly babies the only way of raising blood sugar? I was hoping for some instant more natural input like something from fruit that is prepared for a quick eat. Perhaps banana or some special drink... I'm 63 and this is new to me...the diabetes and the triathlon.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
christiearras said:
Borofergie: The mini triathlon is 400 m swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run...rather walk for me. It will take me more than 2 hours. Are jelly babies the only way of raising blood sugar? I was hoping for some instant more natural input like something from fruit that is prepared for a quick eat. Perhaps banana or some special drink... I'm 63 and this is new to me...the diabetes and the triathlon.

Any carbohydrate will do it - it's just a question of what you can stomach on the bike, after a swim (especially if it's open water).

Malt-loaf is a cyclists favorite, as are bananas. I don't see any reasons why you shouldn't eat a few carbs, as you'll be doing enough exercise to keep your BG down. I honestly doubt that it will improve your performance any and, as I said before, the real danger is not being able to stomach whatever you decide to eat.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
christiearras said:
Thanks, Borofergie, for the latest recommendations...malt loaf, bananas. Sounds do-able.

Just make sure you come back and tell us how you got on.

I have my first half-marathon in 13 weeks (which I think is a more or less equivalent challenge), so I'll have to work on my own fuelling too.

Good luck!

Elc1112

For something like I would probably have a bowl of muesli or similar a couple of hours before I begin. I would then have a banana right before (or maybe between events). As its only a couple of hours worth of exercise you should be fine.

If you do feel yourself getting shaky, try a banana, dextrose tablets, Lucozade etc - all work and won't weigh you down too much.

I often to long (60 miles plus) cycles and I tend to use the sugary goo stuff or lucozades to keep my energy and sugar levels up.

Anyway, good luck for the mini triathlon! :)

SteveT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do sprint tri's... Loads of carbs for a couple of days before...big bowl of porridge & cinnamon few hours b4 start ... Blood sugar 12ish at start followed by big bananna b4 swim ... A couple of gels on bike & 1 gel on the run with lots of water ... Finish tri blood normally 8ish then home for good carbs (& quick sleep zzZZzzZZZz)