What to eat for breakfast that has carbs but will not cause BG spikes

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all. I'm having real trouble finding an option for breakfast that does not cause my BG to spike hugely immediately afterward.
I do Not want to go carb free so please do not suggest that. Save that for another topic as I am DEFINITELY not interested in going carb free.
What do you eat for breakfast that that has carbs but does not cause spikes?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried injecting a bit earlier before you eat breakfast?

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What about slowing down the carbs effect to your blood sugars...slowing the absorption down with fat and having some protein too. Like if you have cooked breakkie...say fry up, fry the bread too or make omelette...use butter for frying and add any carbohydrate additions into the omelette.
What do you normally would have for your breakkie? Give us some idea, it might be easier to alter that rather than come up breakkie ideas and you don't like them anyway.

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This morning I had one sachet of oat so simple mixed with low GI whey protein a few blueberries and chia seeds (35gms carbs) + 250ml coconut water (6gms carbs) + black coffee.
I'm on a pump and took insulin 10-15 mins before eating.
BG pre brekkie 7.4.
One hr after it is 12.3
Now 1.5-2hrs after it is still 11.2
Sometimes it can be even higher.

I have recently upped my I:C ratio too.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd try bolusing earlier; to avoid a spike from porridge I need to inject circ. 30 mins before eating.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd try an extra 5mins earlier and see what that does, no better, then repeat another 5mins earlier and so on.

However with injections you may stop the initial peak too quickly and then may even drop to low too soon - I guess with a pump you can change the bolus profile to match the carb absorption?

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll try bolusing 20mins in advance and see how that goes tomorrow.
I can extend the bolus profile on the pump but I'll see how I go with bolusing earlier first.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Jim - I used to love my porridge, but would spend all morning trying to get back down, it's like sugar to me, there are some good options for breakfast, I now find if I eat high protein that i'm full up till lunch, so a 2/3 egg omelette with ham/courgette/cheese and chilli flakes will not spike me, I still take a few units of insulin to cover this as I convert protein to sugar, or some weeks I make up my own bircher recipe, so on a sunday I chuck a spoon of chia seeds, ground flaxseed, ground almonds, dessicated coconut, flaked almonds, spoon of porridge oats, mix with water/milk into a sealable tub, which lasts all week, then each morning a spoon of this with greek yoghurt and blueberries in a small bowl, I take 2.5 units of quick acting and don't spike.

Otherwise try fry up with bacon/eggs/mushrooms. What about trying a protein bread ? Lidls makes fresh protein rolls, however as with anything eat too much and they too will cause a spike. Any cereal/oats/breads are going to cause a spike, otherwise try injecting 30-40 mins earlier.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the same with porridge, in fact most cereal and grains will spike me.
I would try an extended bolus for half hour to an hour and see what effect that has.
Because it's slow releasing carbs blousing too soon may cause a hypo before the body has had chance to absorb the carbs from the food.

Do you eat breakfast at the same time every day?
Reason I'm asking is could it be possible it's actually your basal rate that needs adjusting if it's happening at the same time every day?

All the best.
Claire x

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Juicyj .
Low-carb always works a treat for me when in comes to avoiding spikes. The trouble is that I ALWAYS feel hungry afterwards. It may just be psycological but that is the way it is. I want to eat carbs to help with the sport I do too. There are those that will say you dont need carbs at all but I dont agree - neither does my consultant at the Diabetic clinic.
Love the sound of the Bircher recipe - never heard of that before. I'll look into the protein bread too.
Check out the pic of my lunch yesterday - delicious! ...still starving after.
IMG_2217.jpg

Reactions: 14 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
try upping the (good) fat to help fill you up?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@DiabeticJim Gosh that looks a good salad - are you trying to make me hungry !

To be honest I can see why you were hungry afterwards there was alot of leaves and some protein there, try adding grated carrots, beetroot, celery, shredded cabbage, maybe some homemade coleslaw (shopmade coleslaw has sugar added to it) and increase the chicken content, also advocado, you can pad it out more just a case of being creative and adding more of what you fancy, the root veges still require insulin but these are a much better way of eating carbs than adding bread/rice/pasta, or even add some boiled new potatoes (4 small ones are 20g of carbs) ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The answer to all your prayers Jim !! I love protein bread, it is very filling, but again watch the spike, a bolus before eating will help.

Robin_H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Depends if you're after savoury or sweet.
Chickpeas are a good option for carbs I find. Maybe something like this;
http://thealmondeater.com/2014/10/single-serve-egg-chickpea-breakfast/.
The possibilities to modify this recipe is quite good, eg. Bacon, vegetables etc.

For a sort of sweet option maybe 'ants on a log' which again you could modify fairly easily.

I also tried oats for a while. Although very filling, I wasn't happy with how my Blood glucose reacted.

DiabeticJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The answer to all your prayers Jim !! I love protein bread, it is very filling, but again watch the spike, a bolus before eating will help.
Do you just bolus for the carb content in this or extra for the protein?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just noticed they also sell Weetabix protein, 25g of carb for 2 biscuits, would be interested to try this to see what the spike looks like.