What to eat on OMAD - One Meal A Day?

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Type 2 - 8 years: Keto 18 months - Lost 20 Kg - 10 Kg to go: off metformin and statins 1 year

I am interested on trying OMAD for a week or 2 (or longer?) to give my general health and weight loss a bit of a boost as my current LCHF programme seems to have hit a plateau (after 12 months). I want to also boost a few other health factors such as muscle strength and improved mood as per some of the claims.

Most days I do Intermittent fasting only eating LCHF from 10 AM till 4 PM. During this period I have a late breakfast and a standard keto main meal before 4 PM.

I can't seem to find any suggested meal plan for a single meal, looking for a guide as to how much to eat and if the 'rules' are the same as for keto.

Anyone trying this or tried it in the past?

Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @tom_r_orr

I’ve used OMAD very successfully on a ketogenic (now 90% carnivore) way of eating. I followed the same ‘rules’ and just eat enough to satisfy me. Probably more in the one meal than would be in a standard meal if eating twice a day, but definitely not double!

For me a typical OMAD (which is less frequent now that my weight is more or less where I want it) is a large portion of meat or fish cooked either in the slow cooker or air fryer. So perhaps half a kilo (pre cooked weight, including bones) of short rib, or a 250g steak or something similar. Up to you really.

Tagging @bulkbiker who has been successful with this too, also @wiflib and @shelley262

Good luck and keep us updated.

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tom_r_orr

I’ve used OMAD very successfully on a ketogenic (now 90% carnivore) way of eating. I followed the same ‘rules’ and just eat enough to satisfy me. Probably more in the one meal than would be in a standard meal if eating twice a day, but definitely not double!

For me a typical OMAD (which is less frequent now that my weight is more or less where I want it) is a large portion of meat or fish cooked either in the slow cooker or air fryer. So perhaps half a kilo (pre cooked weight, including bones) of short rib, or a 250g steak or something similar. Up to you really.

Tagging @bulkbiker who has been successful with this too, also @wiflib and @shelley262

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks. Can I ask whet time of the day was best for your eating window? At the moment I am thinking around 3 or 4 PM.

Reactions: shelley262

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Can I ask whet time of the day was best for your eating window? At the moment I am thinking around 3 or 4 PM.

I tend to eat dinner at 7 pm simply because that's my habit.
Coffee with cream in the mornings mid afternoon tea with lactofree milk then dinner at 7 .
If doing a 2MAD then I might have a meaty appetiser at 4pm sometimes at 2pm (although that is rarer).
I tend to eat a chunk of meat usually between 400 and 500g for my evening meat. If having an appetiser that could be a couple of slices of ham or salami or leftover meat if we have any.
@Goonergal and I happen to follow a more carnivore eating pattern but just add in green veg to the meal if you feel the need.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
thank you for the tag @Goonergal
I did OMAD for a whole month - now almost two years ago! I’d being doing the low carb programme and was doing very well but then did strict OMAD to give my weight loss a big push and for me it worked very well. I followed keto guidelines but often simple meat/fish and a few low carb veg usually eaten about 5ish - at that stage I wasn’t eating puddings or drinking any alcohol. I also stuck to black tea and coffee which I think pushed my body into using its own fat as fuel! I then for bulk of the following year whilst getting weight right down I did OMAD a few days a week - mixed up with different eating patterns two or three meals but always keto less than 20g. For me keto is the key and I’ve kept my ketones measured and been in ketosis at different levels for last now heading towards two years.
I am still keto almost two years later but maintain my bgs and weight at low numbers relatively easily. Now I mainly eat three small keto meals a day but no snacks - very rare- although do have low carb puddings as part of main meal and lunch. I fast usually 16 hours and have meals over 8 hours. I automatically fast too when busy or can’t get keto food - I find it easy to do so and this is quite a good mechanism for keeping numbers steady.
I usually record what I eat these days on
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1548#post-2124580
Good luck hope this helps and that you find the best route that works for you.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I can only do OMAD if I eat in this window from 3 to 4 pm. If I eat earlier, then I'm too hungry to continue OMAD by 7 pm.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Depended - weekends it would (and still is as that’s when I tend to OMAD now) about 4pm. On working days an hour or so later.

I’m a very early riser and also early to bed, so any later would be a bit late for digestion. When eating twice I try to have a 4 or 5 hour window ending no later than 6pm,

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do people fit OMAD with family life? Does everyone else have to do OMAD or do you have to eat alone, the meal table is part of the social life of a family.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do people fit OMAD with family life? Does everyone else have to do OMAD or do you have to eat alone, the meal table is part of the social life of a family.

Well, I don’t fit it with family life (live alone) but do fit it with friends/work/visitors. More than happy to join others at a table and not eat, just chat and perhaps have a drink.

Editing to say that unless doing it every day, it’d be simple to plan around days when others won’t be around or there are no events to attend.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We both eat dinner together.. One of the reasons why 7 pm works.
If hubs want lunch or snacks he helps himself.

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement, I am definetely going to give it a go. I reckon I will start with 3 days a week as while most days I don't get hungry, I still have days where breakfast is welcome nearer 10 AM than later in the morning. Once I get past breakfast I can go easily without pangs till at least 3 PM. I am retired and so there are peiods of boredom that can be difficult when fasting.

Not related as such but any suggestions for increasing fibre without increasing carbs to much as I also have a problem with constipation since going keto?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
any suggestions for increasing fibre without increasing carbs to much as I also have a problem with constipation since going keto?

Tricky one since I’ve done the opposite and reduced fibre over time. Are you sure it’s constipation rather than just going less frequently because there’s less **** to come out? I find being adequately hydrated (surprising how much water you can need) and moving about help things along.

Alternatively, extra green veg, nuts could assist without massively increasing carbs. Or try a magnesium supplement.

Reactions: tom_r_orr