What To Expect With Steroid Injection? Nsaid Replacement?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This Saturday my left shoulder joint became inflamed. It hurt like heck, and my bs went up 2 to 3 mmol compared with what is usual for me. On Sunday I started on diclofenac, an NSAID, and while it helped with the pain and lowered my bs some, I have stopped taking it today (Wednesday). The nose bleeds and blood coming from "elsewhere", are signals it's messing with my blood production and I shouldn't use them anymore. The pain at my liver area is another strong indicator. Paracetamol doesn't do anything for me now, sadly, so I'll try to see the doc this week, or the next. It'll probably be Friday, though I'm not sure how I'll manage that long. Odds are I'll get a corticosteroid injection in my shoulder, but I haven't had one of those since before diagnosis. (Then it was my hip though). I'm diet-controlled, no dia-meds, so... Any idea how badly it will affect my bs? Should I expect 20's when I'm usually between 4 and 7 these days? (Keto and IF). And how long could a rise due to such an injection last? Days, weeks?

Any suggestions for alternative anti- inflammatory meds are welcome too, so I know what to discuss with the doc. I was on naproxen for a bit, but reading the side effects, it might be where the inflammation came from in the first place, so that one's out too...

Thanks!
Jo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have caudal steroid injections. They did raise my bg but the extent varies with different people. Mine rose alarmingly but nowhere near the twenties. For two days they were very high then really didn't settle for about a week after that. The thing is that pain raises levels too so you must weigh up the pain releif against a temporary rise in bg. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have caudal steroid injections. They did raise my bg but the extent varies with different people. Mine rose alarmingly but nowhere near the twenties. For two days they were very high then really didn't settle for about a week after that. The thing is that pain raises levels too so you must weigh up the pain releif against a temporary rise in bg. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Thank you! The appointment's set for Friday morning. Now I'm just hoping it'll miraculously go away on its own before that time. ;) (Yeah, I know it won't).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jo, I’m sorry you’re suffering. I had a steroid shot in my foot in December, my readings went up significantly but I did have major surgery at the same time on the other foot. Having said that my highest reading was 10.2, and my readings settled back to normal in about a week. As @Guzzler says it will vary from person to person but the benefit would probably outweigh the temporary rise.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo, I’m sorry you’re suffering. I had a steroid shot in my foot in December, my readings went up significantly but I did have major surgery at the same time on the other foot. Having said that my highest reading was 10.2, and my readings settled back to normal in about a week. As @Guzzler says it will vary from person to person but the benefit would probably outweigh the temporary rise.
Thank you! Right now, I'm willing to do anything. The replies here sound like it's something I *should* be able to handle; the raise in bs is significant, but not as bad as I feared, or as high as it was at diagnosis. (And then I'll hopefully be sort of okay in time for our holiday. Just visiting other Dutch cities, but as an amateur photographer I do need my shoulder to work!).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steroid's in... And bs slowly creeping up. I'm actually pleased being 7.9 (and rising) is making me feel cruddy! Means my body's used to better numbers now, so I consider it a win. ;) As I seem to have ruined my hip again -didn't notice sooner due to the NSAIDs- I might have another shot in the near future. But let's see how this goes first. I'd rather avoid it, naturally. But so far, so good.

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steroid's in... And bs slowly creeping up. I'm actually pleased being 7.9 (and rising) is making me feel cruddy! Means my body's used to better numbers now, so I consider it a win. ;) As I seem to have ruined my hip again -didn't notice sooner due to the NSAIDs- I might have another shot in the near future. But let's see how this goes first. I'd rather avoid it, naturally. But so far, so good.

I hope your levels drop back to normal soon and your shoulder and your hip improve.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek