WHAT TYPE OF BUTTER ?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I love Lurpak but I don't use the 'full strength' type, I use the lightest one. Just wondering what types of butter everyone else is using? :think:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'Light' butter is butter that has been whipped with water so you are paying for less butter and more water.

My favourite is President salted and I wait for it to be on offer then I buy a few and freeze them.

The best butter to eat is from grass fed cows.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Country Life, 0 carbs, 0 sugars, full fat loveliness. I picked up some anchor last week to try, a small amount of carbs n sugars, but still super tasty.

Go for the full fat, its better for you :D no light stuff is not as good.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
wiflib said:
The best butter to eat is from grass fed cows.

The only butter to eat is from grass fed cows. Anchor, President and KerryGold are all grass fed.

I think that Lurpack is not grassfed.

Butter is great stuff. Very annoyed that I spent my childhood eating "margarine" and other horrible manufactured spreads.

Defren

Sainsbury's organic butter for me. No 'orrible chemicals in it. The organic farm where I get most of my organic fruit, veg, meat, dairy and other bits also do butter, and it's lovely. So, if I am running short I will get from Sainsbury's when I am there, or the farm organic if I can wait until delivery day.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Wow! I guess from the quick response here, that we all love our unadulterated BUTTER! Yaaaaaaaaay! I was hoping you'd all say that.

Thank yoooooooooooooooooouuuu ! :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)

I love butter, but I do not have it anymore. :(

Can anybody tell me what is healthy about a lump of Fat. :thumbdown:

Sorry to be such a boar :twisted:

Roy, :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
President has to be - sluvverly. For the taste izzi, oh and margarine is a molecule short of plastic.

Defren

izzzi said:

:shock:

I should slap your knees for that comment.

Can anybody tell me what is healthy about a lump of Fat

A low carb high fat diet is the major diet choice for many of us here. Providing you eat the good fats like butter, cream, olive oil and the fat on your meat, it will make you feel much more satiated and for much longer than carbs ever could. These healthy fats also help with cholesterol, especially the LDL (the good) cholesterol, my last results were:

Plasma total cholesterol 3.4mmol/L
LDL 1 mmol/L
HDL 1.2 mmol/L
Trigs 2.6 mmol/L

These results were gained with a LCHF diet. We all have to get past the notion that all fats are bad, they really aren't, but for years we have had it drummed into us we should eat low fat. It's like buying low fat foodstuff, the fat is replaced with... you got it - sugar, so full fat is much better. An ideal diabetic diet (in my view) should be low carb, high fat and protein should be 1g to every 10kg of body weight (I struggle with to much protein and need to reduce it). I love my steak and lamb and eat more than I should, reducing the protein is my next challenge.

Seriously, don't be afraid of the good fats, they will do you more good in the long run than carbs have done. Given the choice in taste between margarine and butter, is there really a choice?

PS I won't really slap your knees. :lol:

[edit to add] Avocado is also an excellent source of healthy fat. I used to fry in extra virgin olive oil, now I fry in avocado oil, so much nicer.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
izzzi said:

Hi Roy.

Do you follow a low-fat diet?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
The brainwashing has done it's job too. I was more emotionally blackmailed rather than brainwashed I think, because I was never entirely convinced about the low fat lark. But it came home to me even more when I told my son I had diabetes and was now on LCHF diet.

His response was to tell me it was ridiculous to have a high fat diet, that I'd only make myself sicker. :roll:

I then explained to him that it didn't involve me eating chunks of butter and drinking bottles of olive oil, it just meant using them rather than avoiding them.

I think perhaps it's the 'high fat' wording that makes people get scared and they visualise us stuffing ourselves with fats which is far from the truth. We're not really eating 'high fat' at all, we're simply eating some fat and low carb.

I also use the term 'Low Carb High Protein with Fat' - LCHPF - maybe we should adjust that to 'Low Carb High Protein Some Fat' - LCHPSF.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
An ideal diabetic diet (in my view) should be low carb, high fat and protein should be 1g to every 10kg of body weight (I struggle with to much protein and need to reduce it). I love my steak and lamb and eat more than I should, reducing the protein is my next challenge.

.[/quote]

Is that 1g per 10kg for each meal x 3 a day? And what if we're overweight? Do we still work to that 1g per 10kg rule? :think:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
izzzi wrote
Can anybody tell me what is healthy about a lump of Fat.

According to Barry Groves, in his book Natural Health And Weight Loss :

"Saturated fatty acids constitute at least fifty per cent of body cell membrane. They are what give our cells necessary stiffness and integrity.
For calcium to be effectively incorporated into our bones, at least fifty per cent of our dietary fats should be saturated.
Saturated fats lower Lp(a), a substance in the blood that indicates proneness to heart disease.
They protect the liver from alcohol and other toxins.
They enhance the immune system - short-chain saturated fatty acids kill viruses and bacteria.
The essential fatty acids are polyunsaturated, but our bodies use of them is enhanced by saturated fatty acids.
Saturated fatty acids are the preferred energy source for the heart, which is why the fat around the heart muscle is highly saturated.

The scientific evidence does not support the idea that saturated fats cause heart disease. Most of the fats found in clogged arteries are polyunsaturated."

Many researchers and medical people now acknowledge the safety of saturated fat.

Geoff

Defren

Things to be aware of if you choose a high protein diet and why I am reducing the amount of protein I eat.

The question now, in this era of dietary plenty, is: Which source is healthiest? There are three possible choices: glucose, which comes mainly from carbohydrates, although protein can also be utilised as a glucose source by the body if necessary; Fats, both from the diet and from stored body fats; Ketones which are derived from the metabolism of fats

And

When most people think of eating a low-carb diet, they tend to think of it as being a protein-based one. This is false. All traditional carnivorous diets, whether eaten by animals or humans, are more fat than protein with a ratio of about eighty percent of calories from fat and twenty percent of calories from protein. Similarly, the main fuel produced by a modern low-carb diet should also be fatty acids derived from dietary fat and body fat. We find in practice that free fatty acids are higher in the bloodstream on a low-carb diet compared with a conventional diet.

If you run your body in a ketogenic way, it burns stored fat as fuel, so it helps you lose weight. Another way to look at it, all of us carry some excess fat, imagine a long distance runner, a very honed athlete. If he runs on carbs they will eventually run out and he is in danger of not finishing the race. As our stores of fat are usually quite plentiful (a honed athlete carries around 17% body fat) then he is unlikely to run out of fuel. Our bodies run better ketogenicaly, while some don't agree, the evidence and much anecdotal evidence here on the forum is also available. There is a huge difference between diabetic ketoacidosis which can be a life threatening condition and occurs when BG's are very high, and then ketones are found in the urine to having your body in ketosis. I have been in ketosis for months, I know by my weight loss, I also check my urine from time to time.

Both quotes came from: http://healthgiftofgod.wordpress.com/20 ... h-protein/ there are many, many articles about this subject on the web. Borofergie has posted a lot of information on dietary considerations.

Defren

GraceK said:
An ideal diabetic diet (in my view) should be low carb, high fat and protein should be 1g to every 10kg of body weight (I struggle with to much protein and need to reduce it). I love my steak and lamb and eat more than I should, reducing the protein is my next challenge.

Is that 1g per 10kg for each meal x 3 a day? And what if we're overweight? Do we still work to that 1g per 10kg rule? :think:[/quote]

Your ideal protein should be 1g per 10kg body weight per day. Overweight or not, as you lose weight your requirement will change, obviously, and that is where I am having problems. I still want to eat the amount I was, but I am six stone lighter, so need to reduce.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
izzzi said:

Like all other animals you are essentially a lump of fat and protein. It makes sense that you should be getting most of your calories from fat and protein.

You didn't evolve to eat refined carbohydrates.

Defren

borofergie said:
izzzi said:

Like all other animals you are essentially a lump of fat and protein. It makes sense that you should be getting most of your calories from fat and protein.

The problem is, we have all been taught fat is bad. I remember early in my time here reading a post by Libby, where she mentioned she gets a chicken breast, skin and all I believe, then smothered it in butter. I was horrified - all that fat. It wasn't until I read and learned more I realised the bad fat mantra simply didn't stack up.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I only really use butter when I'm having toast, when I do it has to be Anchor butter every-time.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flip Def, I've not had that in ages! I love it too, I do get funny looks at work when I take bits of cold chicken and spread it liberally with butter.

Trigs of about 0.8 on my last test as far as I can remember.

Now, chicken......................