what type of exercises are best suitable for diabetic person ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what type of exercises are the best suitable for diabetic person ?

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What excercise do you enjoy? The forum has runners, rowers, rockclimbers, weightlifters, swimmers, tennis players, lots of keen walkers, yoga fans and probably a few I've missed.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
What ever type you think you will enjoy doing, that will keep you motivated to keep doing it.

Personally, I like weight training, walking, hiking, rock climbing, beach in the summer.

Reactions: Chandradev819

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say the same as anybody else. Whatever you enjoy or will keep doing. I like to think of anyone with diabetes as a 'normal' person who just happens to be on medication (whether insulin/tablets/diet etc). I know many people are restricted due to many reasons but if you're not, even walking is good or swimming if your joints aren't so good.

D

Deleted member 308541

What excercise do you enjoy? The forum has runners, rowers, rockclimbers, weightlifters, swimmers, tennis players, lots of keen walkers, yoga fans and probably a few I've missed.
Lawn bowls for me.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best exercise is any that uses more muscle groups.
That's why swimming is often suggested, as your using you arms and legs aposed to walking which is just legs.

Muscles continue to burn fuel long after you have finished exercising. ;)
So using more muscles burns more fuel. Not talking a 10 mile run here Yoga or Tai Chi are not strenuous exercises but use more muscle groups.
By using muscles they become less insulin resistant, the more muscles groups you use the greater the effects.

Here's an interesting paper on this
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/39/11/2065.long#sec-53
:bag:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Whatever exercise you fancy. I walk, swim (usually on holiday, but will tackle the local swimming pool from time to time) and use my TRX. TRX is an ingenious system of straps that you can either lash to a tree branch or wedge in a door and use the straps to work against your own body weight. It's like a portable gym.