1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What type of work do we do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Why would anyone eat zombie sheep when there are plenty of non-zombie sheep available? Unless of course they were employed as lamb/mutton food tasters. Which, just in case anyone thought I was going off topic, is a job I would aspire to.

2. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd worry that zombie sheep were past their sell by date!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think that people were doing experiments on the sheep and turned them into carnivores that had a taste for human flesh.
    In all honesty, it could possibly be the worst film I've ever seen!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  4. RoDnEyBoY

RoDnEyBoY Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Jack of all trades,

Builder , ground worker, hard landscaper and gardener - just love the outdoors.

Dream job test driver for Aston martin :cool:

RoDnEyBoY

5. Danaemac

Danaemac Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been a shift manager with mcdonalds for 17 years I finished up today start my new job as a learning disabilities nursing assistant on Monday really excited :))

• Like Like x 11
  6. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

This forum is my job! Lucky me

I also do a lot of the photography for diabetes.co.uk for various things like news articles, facebook posts, recipe books :)

• Like Like x 7
  7. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

..I work as a switchboard operator and do proofreading for the Correspondence Team at work...would love to go part time but only two of us are full time, the other part time...we cover 4,000 staff so they need two full timers ... intend to retire in a year of two but will miss an office full of people as I've known many of them for nearly twelve years..

• Like Like x 4
  8. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Retired dairy farmer. Sold up last May and now just live in farmhouse and rent land and buildings to a family member. Hoping to go back to uni next year to do MA in creative writing.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You could write about the nice folks from the forum.

• Like Like x 4
  10. cold ethyl

I think One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest has already captured that ;-)

• Like Like x 8
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Very funny, good one:wacky: lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oooo, I'd love to do an MA in creative writing, but it's sooo expensive! Where would you do it? I'd like to go to UEA.

13. cold ethyl

Probably Newcastle as I could stay at parents that night as it is crammed into one evening for part time. UEA would be great but too far. First I have to fund junior's MA and get my writing mojo back!

14. crunchieice

crunchieice Type 1 · Member

Hi every one, I work at Costa and it's very busy...costs me a fortune in lucozade. ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  15. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Civil Engineer, currently managing contracts for the maintenance of bridges, culverts and other road related structures.....

Been in the industry since I was 21, 9 years ago, and will probably be in it till I retire..;)

16. gfgeoff

gfgeoff Type 2 · Member

Hi all from leaving school I have been
    Met police cadet
    Met police constable
    Diamond mounter+gemmologist
    Financial adviser
    Audiologist
    Support worker
    Highway white liner
    Currently I provide entertainment to care nursing homes day care centres and memory cafés I play guitar and sing and play clarinet and sax
    Phew
    Geoff

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  17. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I worked for one of the big 6 energy companies before it became a big 6, so started off as admin assistant in an office in Chichester, closed down office & transferred to Portsmouth and Street Lighting and stayed in various capacities until the company wrote and said that I had 40 years pensionable service and didn't need to pay anymore contributions. Asked if I could go early in that case, they sent me pension projections so I told them to sort it out and then went and told my boss where he could put the job (somewhere the sun don't shine much, though he seemed to think it shone out of his). Some would say my leaving date of 31st October (2010) was appropriate, but I couldn't possibly comment! Money may be a bit tighter than it was, but my improved health more than makes up for it even with T2. Husband was sort of retired anyway from teaching guitar and now just plays with an Irish band about once a week

• Like Like x 2
  18. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

The lovely Leanne who runs our local cafe (best coffee in Emsworth) was once a mystery Costa shopper who went round sampling the coffee and then doing training if wasn't right.

19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Love reading about all the talented and hardworking members on here, doing such fantastic and interesting types of jobs:) Makes a lovely change from the evil Zombie sheep:rolleyes: lol

• Like Like x 2
  20. Adrian1981

Adrian1981 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I work in telecoms and have done from school after an apprenticeship .
    I work on behind the scenes networks involving fibre optics and work on networks for fixed line and mobile operators.
    Bit geeky but I like anything computer/ software based.

I would like to change work for something that doesn't involve so much travelling as I feel it affects my ability to control my diabeties but scared to jump out of the frying pan into the fire in terms of job security etc.

Adie

@adie.harper

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook