What units are GAD antibody tests measured in?

Hunya

Blood sugar is measured in mmol/L, or millimoles per litre.

GAD antibody test is equivocal between 0 and 5.
Results between 5 and 25 indicate a positive result, which means probably type 1 diabetes.
Above 25 the results are called strongly positive.
My results were 2000 but they could have been a lot higher because that is as high as the scale at Sheffield Hospitals Protein Research Unit go.

I need to know what units the GAD antibodies test is measured in.

Please would you answer me?
Hunya

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

Hunya

Thank you for the link, which is exactly the page which brought me to this forum. I hope it was of interest to you. It does not answer my question, which is: What units are GAD antibody tests measured in?

The scale goes fro 0 to 2000 and I am above that range.
I need to know what units the test is conducted in.
It must be 2000 units of something (e.g. millimoles per litre or something). I do not want to be guessing such vital information.
I have written to the hospital and the Head of Department responded without answering the question.
This is not rocket science. Any quantitative scientific research like this must be conducted in units.
Somebody at Diabetes UK must know how the GAD antibody test is unitized.

I would be most grateful if they could tell me because it will feed into whether and how I manage type 1 diabetes, which prior to the GAD antibody test was misdiagnosed as type 2 for four years.

Many thanks
Hunya

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
U/ml ( ie International units) : http://www.who.int/biologicals/referenc ... ations/en/ ).
I assume that's what the UK uses, but don't actually know as my tests were done in France. It's what is usually used in research papers as for example here http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... so&tlng=en

Welcome, there are quite a few people with LADA here.
I think I ought to point out that neither the forum nor the site is associated with Diabetes UK the charity, we on the forum are just ordinary people with diabetes.

Hunya

Thank you so much phoenix. That is a relief. units per millilitre, I suppose.
I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, although it was originally LADA I suspected.
I like ordinary. It is less likely to be regulated by politicians.
I am doing some reading about antibodies now. I want to find out what they do after they have destroyed all the insulin producing cells in my pancreas. Basically, if they wither away after that, there is hope my normality might return and I can be well ordinary.
The best of health to you!
Hunya