What unusual things make you hypo?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I read somewhere on here that someone had a hypo whenever they went shopping, I too seem to get low in the supermarket... and whenever I have a meeting with my boss! Just wondered if anyone had any stories of 'strange' activities that made them hypo?

Jessie.x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Excellent thread Jessie! :D

Not sure why supermarkets are prone to make people hypo, could well be the rushing around or the fact we are so engrossed in our shopping that we do not recognise the early warning signs......who knows?

On my DAFNE course this subject was brought up by a fellow student, all involved related to this happening at some time in their lives but could offer no reasonable explanation! :?

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Or maybe because our bodies know we're near tasty food so makes us go hypo in the hope we'll eat something yummy? :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, me too, sound as a pound at home, go out to the supermarket n head goes lighter n woozier as I do my shopping etc... end up in the cafe afterwards for a cuppa n toasted teacake to bring me back to normality. [ do BS level sat down ] feel weird also after being under the lights in the stores also, anyone else same? Anna.x :)

sugar2

anna29 said:
feel weird also after being under the lights in the stores also, anyone else same? Anna.x :)

I don't like having to eat my dextriose in there, as I always think they may think I am grazing my way aorund the shop!

As for feeling wierd, only in one shop. Shop in many supermarkets overthe years, but there is one of those "big" t e s cos near us, and I never get as far as teh fruit, without feeling completely shattered. i assumed it was a lighting thing :?:

sugar2

When pregnant, I could not manage a visit to the diabetic clinic in the maternity unit, without at least one hypo,a nd the hypo in the Drs waiting room is still a common thing in my life. Nothing major, just a 2 jelly baby hypo, but it is wierd how it happens. It is due to the unual break in my routine.

faircot

anna29 said:
Hiya, me too, sound as a pound at home, go out to the supermarket n head goes lighter n woozier as I do my shopping etc... end up in the cafe afterwards for a cuppa n toasted teacake to bring me back to normality. [ do BS level sat down ] feel weird also after being under the lights in the stores also, anyone else same? Anna.x :)

Supermarkets make me feel odd, too (and it's not just the thought of spending money). I discovered long before being diagnosed that at the back of any large store, and particularly supermarkets where lighting levels are high, that I would experience what I would now recognise as a hypo. Moving towards the front of a store with more natural light solves the problem for me.
This seems to be a common effect and many people in offices sitting away from natural light suffer, too. It's not just you, Anna!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sugar2 said:
I don't like having to eat my dextriose in there, as I always think they may think I am grazing my way aorund the shop!

As for feeling wierd, only in one shop. Shop in many supermarkets overthe years, but there is one of those "big" t e s cos near us, and I never get as far as teh fruit, without feeling completely shattered. i assumed it was a lighting thing :?:

As a child, going to one particular supermarket always made me feel ill, I thought it was the lights too.

When I went hypo in there, we'd pick up some sweets and I'd eat what I needed, then present the half-empty packet at the till. Mum usually said something like "she had to eat some of them" without giving a reason. Nobody ever commented, the checkout operators must've thought I was just spoilt!

claytsy39

Dislikes
politics cats diabetes cold mornings and paying bills
wow i thought it was just me everytime i go to tesco my head goes funny.Feel better knowing im not the only one :)
lee

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thinking makes me go low sometimes, usually taking hours to look something up and write the answer to a question and I usually end up binning it because it's far too complicated (or just perhaps because I've gone too low to think straight!)
But yes supermarkets used to do this, not now though, we go to eat before doing the shop, I can eat a meal I wouldn'd normally eat with a reduced amount of insulin and have not highs or lows :)
The supermarket phenomena is well known, maybe someone should write a paper on it :lol:
google: poems active diabetics supermarket

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting!

I'm with Sugar in that I get low when I go to drs appointments or work meetings, I think that could be to do with nerves / stress...

x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jessie said:
Interesting!

I'm with Sugar in that I get low when I go to drs appointments or work meetings, I think that could be to do with nerves / stress...

I find stressful situations make my bg increase! :(

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ebony321 said:
Or maybe because our bodies know we're near tasty food so makes us go hypo in the hope we'll eat something yummy?

This is probably closer to the truth than you think.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably the most stupid thing I've ever done since diagnosis was to rush outside to bring washing off line when it started raining, after having pre-evening-meal short acting insulin, but before starting eating! Far more stupid than kayak touring, adventure racing, orienteering etc, when I never get cuaght out, as energy expenditure is more expected and sticky fingers from jelly babies in pockets don't matter so much!

LaughingHyena

Vacuming the stairs has done it to me a few times. I've never had a problem vacuming anywhere else and we don't have a particularly unusual staircase. I've taken to doing it soon after a meal to avoid the issue.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cleaning out the rabbit's litter trays after dinner often ends in a hypo that I don't notice til I suddenly start sweating like a pig. Its usually after I've eaten with my parents then watched TV for an hour with them before coming home to do my chores. I guess if I've over-estimated the carbs in the meal the excess insulin shows itself while I'm finishing the litter trays.