What was everyone's blood when they go diagnosed?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
What was everyone's blood sugar when they got diagnosed?
And how were you diagnosed? What were your symptoms?
My sugars were 32 and I was barely conscious and rushed to hospital

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't remember the BG - it was 1972. I had been left in bed for 2 weeks with my GP telling everyone I had gastroenteritis. Luckily a medically trained friend of my Mother came over, smelled the 'pear drops' and said I had diabetes. I was barely conscious but remember my dad driving me straight to hospital where I was stabilised over the following 2 weeks. Close call I think.

Padders91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was, I think 30, long time ago now though, I was tested for glucose on the ketone strips,

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine were 26 I think and his was at midday on an empty stomach so god knows what they would have been if if id have eaten ! :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was watching tv and felt sick - after a few hours of being sick i went to hospital with what i thought was food poisoning and when they checked my blood for fungal infection they asked if i had diabetes... my sugars were 22, and thats how i was diagnosed along with having Diabetic Ketoacidosis and was kept for a full 7 days...

My symptoms (looking back) were ongoing for 4 months - I lost 33 lbs, my legs had frequent cramps and tingles, and i was drinking water like constantly!

Strange thing though - after i was let out of hospital there was a period of about a week where my eyesight was 20/20 after about 25 years of very poor vision and needing glasses lol after this first week though it slowly returned to normal but i had to stay home from work for a couple days because it wasn't good enough to drive but it wasn't bad enough to need my glasses again haha

That was an odd thing to tell my boss when i said i had to stay home!
"hey i can't come in today.. my vision isn't as bad as it normally is so i can't were my glasses, but its not good enough to see while driving or using a computer... sooooo I'm staying home a until it gets better, and by better i mean worse'

Padders91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With me I was loosing a lot of weight, and very thirsty so much so, I was lining up my drinks for fun, I think my record was a about Downing 6 glasses of orange squash in one go thinking why isn't it working, obviously not knowing it wasn't doing anything lol , the worst was the very dry mouth I used to get, like you say that soon changed when I was diagnosed

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With me I was loosing a lot of weight, and very thirsty so much so, I was lining up my drinks for fun, I think my record was a about Downing 6 glasses of orange squash in one go thinking why isn't it working, obviously not knowing it wasn't doing anything lol , the worst was the very dry mouth I used to get, like you say that soon changed when I was diagnosed
I can beat that. I was so weak and ill just before diagnosis I used to drink my bath water. I was so thirsty yet so weak I couldn't be bothered to go to the tap. I was climbing stairs on my hands and knees and weighed 3 1/2 stone ( I was 9 years old). My blood sugar was 29.1 and by the time I got to hospital I was semi conscious. Pretty scary.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Very scary! Seems like everyone had the same sort of reading! I often wonder how long it had been festering before I got it diagnosed

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 27.4 and I had an ear infection then started not eating, loosing weight like no tomorrow, drinking so much and stilll being thirsty and my hair was falling out in handfuls! and the doctor said he wanted to give me a blood test i thought it was a proper vein one but then it was like a finger prick turnt out it was 27.4 and then was rushed to hospital

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 17.9. For a month before I was drinking a lot. I started to get very weak in the legs, like my strength was decreasing hourly...very scary. I started to get leg cramps and thought I must have varicose veins. Then I got numbness and tingling in the fingers on my left hand. It was at this point I went to the doctor. 2 months on I am feeling much better, but they say the strength in my legs will take a while to come back.

Kingo kingsley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing really
Mine was over 27 the hospital couldn't read any higher lol but when I went home I was still high at 32.4 like you, they said I need to get to hospital with in the next half an hour when they received my results from the doctors, my symptoms were loosing just over a stone and a half in weight and drank probably Olympic swimming pool a day lol, what about you?

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feel a bit like a fraud - I had (have) no symptoms, was picked up at just the NHS health check that they are rolling out for everyone between the ages of 40-74. Which I guess is the point of the health checks - and I hope a lot more people in my position take up the health check - and avoid becoming really ill before diagnosis. My reading was 7.6

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
I never lost any weight at all. I was drinking 2 litre bottles of water constantly and basically living on the toilet. My chest tightened and I could barely stay awake. I collapsed in halfords getting my headlight changed!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
1989, in a strange hospital hundreds of miles away and a 30 something reading, and still standing :)

Best wishes RRB :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was around 26.

Drinking so much for around a month beforehand is what I remember most. The weather was really hot at the time so I just put it down to that. I lost a fair bit of weight but lost more after diagnosis.

gmzlita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was around 660, i lost 10kgs or more. Almost 8 months ago i was diagnosed. Dry mouth, blurred vision and my legs were so weak:/