1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UserABC2021, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Tidying up post. Thanks for the art @dunelm and @gennepher. @dunelm hug for Mr Pickle but if you play sport any loss should be mourned long and hard. Winning isn't everything but losing isn't anything. Maybe not the whole Shanklyesque - this is not life and death, it is much more serious - mantra. Loving your artwork @gennepher, hope Popeye recovers his appetite and you enjoy "me time" with the film. @alf_Josiah I hope the away time is a success at whatever it is meant to do. Now, "way back when" I (well, The Food Fairy did the practical) discovered, via Tom Kerridge, how to make caramel from Inulin - huge success. Upshot was I made some Elsie/Keto CCBs - chocolate caramel bars - instead of buying high carb gopping commercial ones lacking fibre. Forumites liked the idea but in trying to make the caramel, burnt saucepans, smooked (NFN) out their kitchens etc. Herewith is another version which also makes well in muffin trays. I had one yesterday - liked it even though it absolutely destroys just about everything I believe about diet - except fibre.

High fibre chocolate flaxseed bars base recipe
    Per bar made in soap bar sized silicone mould (currently lost in a box here)
    1.5 ounces or 42.5 gms milled flaxseeds although whole work better for fibre
    ⅙ ounce (4.5 gms) inulin
    4 squares = 1 row of chcologic belgian chocolate or 20 gms darkest choc we have (needs sweetener for me; I avoid eryth at all costs) chocolgic ramps up fibre massively; analysis uses Waitrose 1 posh dark choc
    ½ ounce or 14 gms butter
    1 ounce or 28 gms cream
    Cronomter's anlysis below as an image.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
    #48981 ianpspurs, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

If you enjoy tomatoes add a few to the avocado and cheese, need not be many, I find two tiny plum tomatoes cut into quarters is enough, adds a burst of freshness, enhances the whole.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ianpspurs

Oh, I forgot. Inulin makes a great crème brûlée (easy to make CB Elsie) topping when you use the blow torch we all have hiding after watching masterchef back in the day. CB is something I had avoided like the plague for 60+ years until Elsie made me keen to gnaw my own limbs. A dessert recipe, outside of my foodie beliefs:banghead::banghead:. Don't judge me. Oh wait, masterchef reference? awkward.

• Like Like x 3
    #48983 ianpspurs, Oct 10, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  4. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Ugh. Bad Dereks, I thought they were harder to find than young Dereks. ;):)
    Must try watching.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, will do, I shall be in the fully supervised location with Mrs J monitoring very move…

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ianpspurs

I found this interesting so just sharing.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

@ianpspurs - that was a typo thank goodness. It should have been 5.5.
    I agree that everything is better with avocado.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Krystyna23040

We had a lovely walk around Sheringham Park. Their coffee machine has been repaired now and the coffee is good again. I didn't like the filter coffee they were using while the coffee machine was out of action.

So sausage rolls and coffee are equally as good at both venues - so hard to choose between the two. although Archie and Poppy would vote for Oxburgh Hall because they do doggy ice creams..

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. Krystyna23040

Yes, will definitely add tomatoes. We like the tiny plum tomatoes also.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Krystyna23040

@gennepher I do hope that Popeye has got his appetite back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Krystyna23040

I am really pleased that upping my salt intake has stopped the horrible cramps. I was a little concerned about blood pressure with my higher salt intake but have just checked it on Mr K 's blood pressure monitor and it was 118/63 which isn't too bad.

• Winner Winner x 5
  12. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Expert

He is eating a little now and drinking water again @Krystyna23040
    Maybe not as much as I would like, but I am monitoring him very closely...
    Thanks for asking.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Good morning everyone on a wonderfully quite start to the day here in the dark an dangerous north
    The wonder wheel of Swedish meatballs with that sauce that you can buy at a well know Swedish outlet came in at 6.4 today - oops! Never do that again (until the next time).

Apple sauce making yesterday. No sugar, just a squeeze of lemon juice and some cinnamon - I usually freeze it but this time I put it into jars. Jars in the oven first to sterilise and lids boiled alive as a warning to other lids. A couple of parcels ready for posting; a book called ‘When God Was a Rabbit” for my brother in Bristol and a rear rack off a no longer owned Triumph for a biking pall. The Goonies on the box yesterday - ‘Hey you guys’ - watched it with Mr Pickle before he went home - his team did better than in the Junior Premier League match the day before by winning 5-1 and with him scoring a goal off a defender - much joy to him.
    Art bit - after the artist Lin Fengmian, pioneer of modern Chinese painting. Hope you had a fun day yesterday as it’s just another manic Monday today - pass the koffy and chop more apples.

upload_2021-10-11_6-24-40.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Master

5.6 for me have a good day everyone

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. ianpspurs

Good morning everyone. Cool enough for the tracksuit bottoms, heavier polo shirts and lightweight hoodie here but still no socks :woot: and good for shorts later:woot::woot:. No idea where Oval Office Bill came across:angelic: the aphorism but today is KISS day here (keep it simple stupid). Swipey he say 5.8 today. Traditionally that has always been >5.4 so I spy danger. Cloak and Dissemble.co.uk ,who currently manage UK Plc for some offshore hedge fund or other, would tell us it is all part of the (world leading) plan you silly little people. No need to worry your pretty little head. We are on our way to glory. @dunelm great news for Mr Pickle. Great art. Were there any spare screws from the sauce and meatballs, is it compulsory to sing an Abba song and why is everything called Billy? @karen8967 you too sweetheart, you too. The rest of y'all - its the variables, its always the variables - catch 'em up on iplayer if you miss 'em.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gennepher

Fbg 6.6

Creative work - a tatty old shorthand pad, fartnarkled in Snapseed into...

Metaphysical thought of the existentialism of a Shorthand Pad, which now goes under the title of 'Reporter's Notebook'. And while I write this there is a tiny baby snail sliding on the other side of my glass door underlining my 'Believe' sign with a silver trail. Perhaps that is the 'Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything', and not the number 42.

Today, my job is the creation of a couple of different feeders for the medium sized birds, who are just a bit bigger than sparrows...

F5CEA52C-EF4B-4AFC-9D01-7C9BE5334395.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 4
  17. Krystyna23040

4.9 this morning. Relaxing and reading at the moment before I am off to Norwich for classes. Feeling a bit lazy but one more cup of coffee should get me going.

• Winner Winner x 5
  18. gennepher

I love this colourful painting after Lin Fengmian @dunelm

Monday today?
    It is a brand new week...

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. ianpspurs

Sheringham was obviously the right choice. Take it easy Ma'am.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. gennepher

I watched Mrs Caldicott's Cabbage War @ianpspurs
    With the aid of my LiveTranscribe on my Pixel phone.

It is so close to reality (my experiences in something) in the first part for me.
    Déjà Vu.....

I enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook