1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all from a very, very cold Notheast, which is still being windswept and interesting, a 5.8 greeted me after another sleepless night with Gabe the bulldog (he hates having the soft cone on but wont leave his eyes alone) hopefully only a couple more to go then we can go back to sleeping on a night!! (its over rated sleep)

Take care everyone.

• Hug Hug x 11
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. SB.25

SB.25 Other · Well-Known Member

Today is a 10.8 (still trying to be positive as it’s not a 12 or 14). However I didn’t eat any dinner last night so I’m guessing that played a large part in the decreased number....

Matilda in the west end was an amazing show! I would recommend for both children and adults alike.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like Like x 11
    • Hug Hug x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

6.5 at 8:30

• Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

4.6 this very chilly morning. Layers and more layers today for me!

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Like Like x 7
  5. philchap1

philchap1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone, 5.2 for me, stay warm.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 8
  6. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

3.8 @ 07.27

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 7
  7. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.4 today

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 6
  8. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all
    5.6 this am - good Friends 60th birthday party had fizz and nibbles lateish so up a bit from my normal. Friend had a display made about her and her 60th which used a wide range of chocolate bars and sweets at places instead of words - should have taken a photo! Her 60th survival hamper also had a big quantity of extra chocolate in it too. Looked like a large supply of chocolate is needed on gaining a certain age! Glad they didn’t offer party bags!
    Hope everyone has a good day it looks bright and cold - good for getting out there.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 9
  9. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

Good call suggesting magnesium glycinate.

I take between 400 - 500 mgs per day in 2 divided doses and I haven't had a twinge of anything for yonks.
    Magnesium is also, according to some peer reviewed literature, effective in helping regulate blood sugar and, most essentially, good for the ticker.

According to Dr Mildred Seelig, for optimum health we should be taking:
    Weight (kgs) x 6.5 mgs = (in my own case):
    73 kgs × 6.5 mgs =
    475 mgs

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. UserABC2021

UserABC2021 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Morning all, 6.1 today and a bit of an oversleep. Ready for action now though, enjoy the day :)

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
  11. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Morning all just checking in as still On Tour. Sympathy with @Charis1213 for pain and the cramp sufferers @alf_Josiah and @JohnEGreen. Also picking up on the medical advice out there, I am sure I have an external oblique muscle strain ( painful and can't even put socks on) but NHS direct seems certain I have failing kidneys and may not last the day - December bloods were said to be very good. Lots of tea, Naproxen and very high fibre food for a few days. Play nice chums and chumettes.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. AngiH

AngiH Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Morning all, a 6.6 for me after a brilliant day yesterday of 5.0's. The IF must be helping the lower daytime levels. Just wish I could see them in the morning too....still another 16/8 today minimum for me as I'm not even thinking about food now

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Unfortunately not for me.

"Magnesium is known to act at the neuromuscular junction by inhibiting the presynaptic release of acetylcholine and desensitizing the postsynaptic membrane. Because of these effects, magnesium has been postulated to potentiate neuromuscular weakness."

"We conclude that routine Mg-replacement protocols might be inappropriate in the treatment of patients who have myasthenia gravis and in other patients who have borderline respiratory function."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4591897/

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Hug Hug x 2
  14. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yes, little packs of butter :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Debandez

You could see the cakes from outside! They were that big!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

@AngiH doubtless many others will have already told you how fbg can be much slower to come down than other readings/times. You are doing all the right things and making excellent progress so Carry on Regardless:angelic:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #39856 ianpspurs, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  17. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all. Fasting blood sugars were 4.9 today.

@Debandez -- I thought the salad looked a lot better than all this cake. Well done for promoting the lc woe.
    @SaskiaKC -- Hugs. Have you been losing weight lately? This can temporarily increase your cholesterol, especially your LDL. Also very little of the cholesterol we eat, ends up as cholesterol in the blood. The body mostly makes its own cholesterol. Did you have a look at @bulkbiker's thread? It has lots of really good information on cholesterol.
    @BloodThirsty and @Chronicle_Cat -- I also take magnesium glycinate (though only 100mg per day) and agree it is much more effective than the one I had before.

Have a great day all.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    #39857 ziggy_w, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  18. AngiH

AngiH Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thank you, yes I am sure they are still hiding at the mo and with low 5's for the last 3 days in the daytime and a 9lb weight loss in 13 days it's all moving in the right direction.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  19. jillsymes66

jillsymes66 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning. This morning on waking I was 8.4 by the time I'd gone down for my cuppa it was 10.4!! When I went to bed it was 5.4. I am 4 days into using the Libre sensor and my levels through the day have been between 5 and 6 which is fine for me. I eat under 20g of carbs per day and don't usually eat after 8.30pm and I take my Lantus and Metformin before bed, usually about 10.30pm. I am not having night hypos either. I have increased my nightime Lantus by 2 units last night but still high this morning. I'm nervous of taking insulin in case it plummets later and I will have to eat carbs. Any advice guys. I've done some online reading and apart from eating some cheese or drinking some vinegar before bed there doesn't seem to be any info. Cheers.

• Hug Hug x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Debandez

What about a 'speechless' one! That will be the permanent state I'm going to be in! And as you know that is alien to me!!

I love the idea of giving DCUK and other details on a little card. A business card, we mean business!!! I'm going to order from eBay today in fact! Hubby started on the visuals last night. I just have a few bits to do before i wade in and start pulling it all together. Obviously with all the help I can get from wonderful forum members. What a team!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook