What words of wisdom from your parents?

Vikki2

Hi
I was just wondering from those of you who were diagnosed in your childhood, was there anything that you parents said to you that sticks in your mind that gave you strength or made you feel that you could cope with your diabetes? I am the mum of a 6yr old daughter who has T1. She was diagnosed at the age of 3 and is now starting to communicate more how she feels and is asking more questions (like, will I always have diabetes = heartbraking :( ). I so desperately want to say the right thing. I know that there is no 'right thing' to say and I know she will have her down days but I would be grateful to hear of any words of wisdom that you might draw upon when you need to. Or maybe you could even tell me what things NOT to say!
Thanks
Vikki
x

lucyunited89

hi vikki, this is heartbreaking to read, i really feel for you and your daughter......im sorry i cant offer any advice as i dont have children and wasnt diagnosed till 19 but i just wanted to wish you good luck and hope you get some help from other people on the site. lucyunited89 xx

jopar

Sorry I was an adult when I was diagnosed..

But as a mum of 3 now grown-up children I would suggest to be honest with your answers...

There's no telling whether a cure will be found every long term diabetic was told a cure is just around the corner :roll: but there is one thing that you do know and that treatment is always improving, better insulin better ways of delivering insulins that all help to make our lifes normal..

It's a case of reasuring her, that she is as normal as any other of her peers

Fallenstar

Hi Viki

Just being on here and asking this question shows how much you care and you want to do the right thing for your daughter, and in my book you can't get much better than that :D
I can only give you my take on it from my own personnel perspective and it might not be much help to you as I was a young adult when I was diagnosed, but I do have it and I am a mum so it might help.
I think kids are amazingly erudite and have much more understanding for things than we give them credit for sometimes. Your daughter will probably have a better understanding of her body and how it works because of the Diabetes than the average 6 year old, keep educating her as much as you can .
Even from a young age knowledge will empower her and make her feel more in control of things, make it open and honest . I know it's not easy but she does have it and always will so when she feels lost in as she may do from time to time as she gets older, be there for her to offer sympathy but between you try and find positive solutions...Tackle it I suppose.

I know with my Family it was very much the "head in the sand" approach which was never helpful in anyway. I know my own daughter at 5 amazed her teacher when she told the class all about how your pancreas works and all about insulin, she's not diabetic but lives with a Mum who goes Hypo and she has to help out and live with it also.

Your daughter will cope ,she will have to and just to know she has someone fighting her corner and being there for her no matter what, when control may go haywire as she gets older ,without being judged is the most important thing you can do for her....but she will be fine, she will grow with it and it will be just part of her as she goes through life, but it will never hold her back.