1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What work do you do?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by rosemaree, Feb 17, 2022.

1. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

@Ushthetaff I worked with big machines at the port here some time back, was not the worst job, but the hours were crazy and the environment not great. I have never really had a stable job though as I have never had a job that actually covered my expenses and didn't make me sick. It is interesting how we adapt to fill the time we have, I was reading about it the other day - how most people tend to get everything they need (and want) to get done done, even when their schedule is full.

@Andydragon Thanks, the most career support I have had was a counsellor who encouraged me to do the cakes. My partner encourages me to get into tech, but because it is his thing I get quite apprehensive/feel especially useless at it. I don't really know how to get more help where I am (in South Africa), I am trying to get my diabetes under better control as my energy is so wavering at the moment I don't think I would be useful for much. Aside from that, my biggest concerns are having the flexibility to actually take care of myself and my furchild, who is my world and also a chronic case.

@becca59 I can't even imagine being that busy now :eek: although it would be nice! That is another of my issues, that I do not have any support or community that I belong to, which doesn't help mentally. I think I have had mental issues long before, the diabetes has just been a cherry on top. I have been trying to get help for ages, I was seeing one counsellor a while back, I thought it was helping but it turned out to be quite damaging. I am stuck now with not being able to afford help - I need a job first! I have been trying every free self help course and guide I can find, it helps a little but then something always knocks me down.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Rosemaree, I wonder whether it's worth trying to just get a casual job at first rather than one that you may well be very capable of, but is too stressful at the moment and daunting to go for? It would be hard for most people to have spent a while out of their careers due to a variety of reasons, and then to suddenly be expected to source, apply for and get some high powered position and quick about it whether in tech or otherwise!. Who wouldn't want to stay under the bedcovers! Forgive me if it's simply not possible but what about coffee shops et al, or retail where it may be possible to get something rather more casual and short term. It could be that once you are back in the 'get up, get to work' frame of mind in a part time job that you know you can leave at any time (without the stress that comes with high flying careers), you might start to feel better about then getting back into your actual field of work? It can be good to rebuild your confidence up for any longer term aspirations? I do know that all jobs can be stressful of course so you'd have to pick carefully. x

3. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

@KK123 Thanks for the suggestion :) I actually saw a garden centre being set up not too far from us, wondered about asking there. I have been looking and applying for any work I can find, although I have been apprehensive to be around too many people because of covid - I can't afford to take any risks at this point. I did have a part time admin job lined up, but the company kept messing me around and giving me excuses and delays - I eventually gave up on it because it felt like they were just trying to drag me along for if/when they needed me :bored:

I have never actually had a career as such, I think that is largely what bugs me. I have always just done whatever job to try and pay the bills and have never had the chance to actually try make something of myself - I have a lot of stuck ideas in my head about it all, most of which I don't even believe, but they seem to stick.

I have been trying to look at intern type positions in fields that might interest me as well, but they typically want younger students, not older people with expenses :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why not try a volunteer role to begin with, lots of sectors require volunteers, not sure how it works where you live but here in my town we have charity shops, school readers, pensioners clubs, litter picking, dog walking for those who can’t walk their dog any more, meals on wheels, you would be able to fit it around you and it may help build your confidence and self esteem and make some new friends, also it will maybe give you new skills that you can add to your CV or help you decide what it is you’d really like to do.

5. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I work as an HCA on a ward in the hospital. I do 3 x 12 1/2 hour shifts 3/4 days a week. I’ve been there almost 6 years. Before that I worked as a community carer for 3 years and I’ve also worked one year in a private care home. I throughly enjoy my job!

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. iwilltouchyourcat

iwilltouchyourcat LADA · Well-Known Member

I work in a psychology service for the NHS. Currently working from home in the main, which suits me fine as I get used to constantly monitoring blood sugar, navigating hypers and hypos and the feeling poopy that comes with that. Was well controlled t2 until two months ago when I got dka and blood sugars rocketed. The hospital diabetes team think I’m type 1 and probably need insulin- just waiting for test results to confirm. Work are very supportive. I’m lucky.

• Hug Hug x 3
  7. Just Jeff

Just Jeff Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Systems Accountant.
    It's a desk job, but to and from work I clock around 5 miles of walking a day to and from the station and normally at pace as I'm always running late

8. Lainie71

Lainie71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hairdresser/beautician self employed and love it. Re trained after years of working in various jobs from legal secretary to microbiology tech to name a few. Also do a lot of sewing alterations or anything sewing/craft related in my spare time when I am not perming lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ErinKeegan

ErinKeegan Type 1 · Member

My mum is diabetic and employers didn't want to hire her as a store manager, she is cool and hardworking, but they said that they didn't want to take her to a job. It's unfair

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. Lainie71

But older people are more reliable that's what gets me and have usually been there done it, t shirt worn out if you know what I mean. That's why I retrained and was employed by a hairdressers as I was older. I did have to shop around mind but gained enough experience and confidence to start on my own. I love my older ladies they are quite feisty :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lainie71

Tell her to retrain in something she enjoys. I was always told a job should not feel like a job but something you enjoy. Not always easy I know. I spent many years in jobs I did not enjoy until I retrained.

12. Julio9

Julio9 Type 1 · Member

Previously I used to be a waitress, but it was hard to stand and run from table to table. Now my husband supports me, but I want to find a suitable job for me

13. dany1231

dany1231 · Newbie

I was fortunate. I have been working remotely for several years. I am a copywriter and write texts for various sites.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook