1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What would be your ideal care model for the NHS with your Type 1 Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tim2000s, Nov 11, 2015.

1. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's good to know, do you access this by logging in to patient access at patient.co.uk ?

2. mikeg1964

mikeg1964 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whatever model they come up with should be consistent across the entire nhs. The nice guidelines means that we are subjected to post code lottery.

Patients who want a CGM should be offered one, the take up success for the abbott libre demonstrates how desperate T1s are in wanting to manage their sugars.

This would cost the nhs more in the short term, and the nhs does not have an appetite for spending more on t1 care.

3. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@donnellysdogs, yup I remember seeing about that. My Dr is clearly behind the curve. I think the issue is the complete lack of consistency and the fact that the Dr and Hospital do not seem to be able to share results in any consistent way either. It means I have to go to both so they can duplicate efforts just so they both get a tick in the box.

Today all I can do online is request prescriptions and even that seems to take them a few days to process.

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Given that the NHS can't share information between different clinics within the same hospital building, it is hardly a surprise when they can't share it between GPs and Diabetic Clinics. There is a reason why all Diabetic clinic information is sent to the GP as a letter. They aren't allowed to send it as an email under normal circumstances. As an enterprise, it is shockingly backward in its comms mechanisms, and no-one really understands how to fix it.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mrspuddleduck

mrspuddleduck · Guest

Our on line system has been offline for three months and likely to stay that way til the new year at least!!!

6. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And the reason the letters take so long, is because they are often contracted out to businesses outside of the UK !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

And I thought it was because no-one could read doctors' handwriting!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They dictate them now, the letters get sent in bulk, come back to UK and are sent unsigned.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

9. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

In response to questions about seeing medical records.. Different GPs use different providers with their systems.
    Ours just use patient access. Mine is an icon on my ipad or iphone and I can access it anywhere. Ie
    My diabetes hospital, my oncology treatment and my cancer slice n dice is all at different hospitals. They still write to GPs the results and I can see copies of their letters online.
    For example my slice n dice surgeon only told me I was ER and PR positive.. Not the actual figures. So last night I checked on line and our GP admin staff had scanned the full letter to my GP that actually stated the levels of ER and PR.

I don't think patient.co.uk is the same thing as patient access but will email my practice manager now and ask.

Have just emailed and will let you know the answers.

I'm just checking as well whether this is imposed upon GPs according to GMS/PMS contracts/QOF/DES/CQC that are all different with GPs too.

10. donnellysdogs

MRI scans etc are often sent outside of the UK to be viewed but letters from consultants to GPs should be dealt with by their secretarys.

11. donnellysdogs

There are a number of different medical software systems in use. Emis Web, SystmOne and Vision are the most popular. The majority of practices in my area are on Emis Web. Each system has its pros and cons. Emis Web is the most advanced in respect of patient access. SystmOne has a better interface with secondary care. As yet, however, it does not enable patients to see their medical records.

Not all patients will be able to see their full records on a carte blanche basis. Your GP will have to be approached to give psrmission and that seeing full records wouldn't be adverse to the patient or anybody else.

Nothing is straight forward.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook