What would you add???

Blondie153

Was talking to my daughter yesterday about what she would like out of her pump. She would like an app that she could play games on (she is 9). My husband and I have a list of things we would add, in built cgm, a function to set so that the pump knows she is at rest and won't need insulin as much etc I thought if you could have a sim card attached then you could always ring 999 in emergencies. Anybody anything they would add?????

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Motion sensor that detects when you are exercising/active and sets delivery rate to minimal, just like a pancreas would do.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Motion sensor that detects when you are exercising/active and sets delivery rate to minimal, just like a pancreas would do.
Motion sensor is a great idea, unless your driving a car lol :)
I guess we could have a little override button too.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Make it a stepometer then coupled with a heart rate monitor. I'm sure you can then program it to make it react correctly

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely we just want a closed loop system then? Regardless of why we want insulin to be adjusted if bg is rising or falling? These are actually being tested btw :D

I don't think it would be worth putting a motion sensor in an insulin pump - better off investing in closed loop or alternative CGMs I think.

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The only issue with a closed loop system is you need enough inputs into it to make sure the system has appropriate dampeners or they oscillate wildly. Heart rate is really the additional input that is needed and not motion detection. I think this is what the liver does (hence fight/flight mechanism releases glucose so you have the energy you need to survive). When the heart rate stays up for an extended period you do not need a large insulin release but if it is short lived and the liver has raised you right up you will need more to bring you down. You do not need such a large dose if your muscles are going to burn it for a while.

Ummm hope that makes sense

Reactions: 4 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
On call num to hospital and maybe a medical ID card next of kin info name, num and hosp, consultant/dr/prof info and blood group.

Reactions: 4 people