What would you like to see in 2010???

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What would you like to see on Diabetes.co.uk during 2010? All sensible suggestions (and even the crazy ones :D ) will be considered...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
How about a section titled 'Medications' where we can put information on Diabetic Meds and refer folks to.

Another section entitled 'Frequently asked Questions' where again we can refer folks. It would save repeating NICE guidelines and stuff about Meter Accuracy, Alternative Site Testing etc etc
ad-infinitum. :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How about an "Alternative" section? Somewhere people can discuss the less known treatments for diabetes? (Watercure/Budwig/pH Diet/Vitamins/minerals/herbal remedies, etc, etc...)

Edit.
(This would be Diabetes Mind, Body and Spirit which we already have.)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great suggestions, hopefully the user comment/review will open up lots of existing information to first-hand, up to the minute updates.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
How about a sub section in the product review forum specifically for student research/project questions? We are seeing more and more of these and they tend to get lost.
They could be allowed one clear post with the proviso that members pm them.
This section would not allow the market researchers who would continue to be disallowed on the forum.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As T1 diabetes has a section of its own could we have one for T2's also? - the one for T1 seems to work really well and it would be nice to have the same for us T2's :D

ShyGirl

How about a section for people with complications as it would be good entering a section with other people who know what you are going through. Nothing beats advice from people who share the same issues and it's depressing wading through "do this for no complications" posts etc when you have specific issues you want to discuss.

Vikingepigen

How about a forum/place for "Research papers/links"?? This would gather all research link in one place and make research, especially for newbies, so much easier. Searching the forums with keywords brings up so much unrelated stuff that it is hard to work through, ESPECIALLY when you are new and perhaps not good at research/internet searches etc.

Just a thought - we see so many useful/valuable links being posted all over the place, that having one place for all these - and the discussions/comments - might be a nice/useful "short-cut" to keep up to date on recent stuff unearth by other members?

Thanks
Alice

jocat44

Hi,
I agree it would be nice to have a T2 section in the same way there is a T1 section. When pushed for time or struggling yourself it would be nice not to have to wade though information which is not applicable to you. When I ahve time I do read the T1 stuff for my own interest and if I end up on insulin in the future.
Jo

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Another vote for a T2 section. It has a lot in common with T1s, but also quite a few differences. Especially for those on diet only.

sammythehammy

I Think it would be very helpfull if somehow Diabetes.co.uk could go some way to teaching people in the workplace about how diabetes type 1 and having hypos at work affects them.
I remember sometimes at work no one even had a basic understanding of type 1 they all assumed that diabetics are all the same.If i said i was feeling low they thought i meant i was depressed when in fact i was in need of some food or glucose etc. And if i started acting strange due to hypoglycaemia then they just assumed i had been drinking .
Even something as simple as a poster maybe a poster competition could be arranged for people to highlight the symptoms and how to treat hypos at work.

thanks Sam

gbswales

I would echo Type 2 forum

A weekly poll about some issue might be interesting - users could be invited to suggest questions for future polls but I imagine it would need someone actually posting one each week.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here's one for you....!

How about a forum that isn't always taking ages to load a page, doesn't keep giving general errors and generally just works as fast as the other forums on the net.

Please note that it isn't a computer problem which I am sure many people think it is.

:(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
cugila said:
Here's one for you....!

How about a forum that isn't always taking ages to load a page, doesn't keep giving general errors and generally just works as fast as the other forums on the net.

Please note that it isn't a computer problem which I am sure many people think it is.

:(

Yes, I would agree with that one, this seems to happen more and more frequently and must be very off-putting for members trying to post on the forum.

Yvonne-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Natural supplements:
There are so many claiming this that and the other aid/cure, it would be nice to have a comprehensive research/report on them. for instance I have ordered today = after doing a bit of research online ... Glucose lowering supplement. it has in it

Chromium 200mcg
Magnesium 200mg
Zinc 10mg
Vitamin c 60mg

thanks

daveburdett

I would like to see details (with updates every three months or so) about what progress is being made finding a CURE for Diabetes. All the articles and discussions appear to be on how to live with it. These are important of course, but a cure would save much worry, hardship, and money.

DaveB

johncorner

Guidance in the supermarket - what sugar content levels may be ok for particular foods or once a week treats (eg in puddings, trifles etc). Guidance about what is allowable within reason (ie do we have to live on nuts and berries or can we, with care, enjoy some foods. Thinking of people with Type 2 diabetes. I manage my sugar levels so that they are always below 6 two hours after meal times and yet I manage to have some treats. Would also like to see articles on complementary medicines.

diabalo

:?: I would also like to see mote on Type2 Diabetes. I am on the border line of Type1 and Type2. My GP thinks I should continue with oral medication only but my Diabetic Nurse thinks I would benefit from taking Insulin, all be it, only once a day. I have a fairly high 'Normal' sugar level, averaging around 11 so when it drops suddenly I really feel terrible. It would be very interesting to have comments from different Experts.

qrp

Have you seen the recipes in DUK's Balance magazine? No evidence that the compilers have any idea of restricting carbs at all. Fair enough, there's a case for complex carbs but none at all for savouries and sweets with 'empty' calories.
I would like to see DUK get its head out of the sand and realise that lots of us are following reduced carb diets and cater for us as well. I wrote to Editor of Balance, who did not deign to reply, asking for a more balanced selection of recipes, not all just the usual stuff that all savvy diabetics have seen for what they are, a passport to see-saw bloods and poor control. I feel they have a duty to represent the other view. And not merely through sponsoring the forums. qrp