What yoghurt

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am only 5 days onto this. I bought Onken Fat FreeYoghurt as I need something sweet. It says Carbs 13.4 per 100g of which sugars 12.8. Is this OK. Can anyone recommend the best yoghurt to eat. Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Avoid low-fat yoghurt with any added sugar (don't worry about the fat). If you want your yogurt sweeter then go for those that have added sweeteners. We have Irish low-fat, zero added sugar fruit yogurts with added sweeteners. You will have to search high and low for yogurts without added sugar other than Greek yogurts.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd go for full fat no added sugar yoghurt such as Fage Total (which also has live cultures) and add a little erythritol or couple of drops of liquid stevia if you want it sweet. Add a few berries if you want a fruity version.

Also have a search of the forum as we've had a number of similar questions and a variety of different recommendations.
Yoghurts will contain some natural sugar, and this will vary a bit with different brands.

Robbity

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy lidl full fat greek yogurt in big tubs with handle, its 3.2g carbohydrates per 100g yogurt.

I buy full fat as typically lower in sugar/carbohydrate and the fat helps keep you fuller for longer.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
️ Fage Total, it has become one of my staples. Nothing added. Use it post dinner but also for breakfast with spinach and poached eggs.

Basically avoid low fat fruit yogs, full of sugar

Reactions: 2 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I'm on a budget and my go to yoghurt is Sainsburys full fat Greek yoghurt. I would avoid the fat free versions, they have added sugar

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am only 5 days onto this. I bought Onken Fat FreeYoghurt as I need something sweet. It says Carbs 13.4 per 100g of which sugars 12.8. Is this OK. Can anyone recommend the best yoghurt to eat. Thank you
Avoid low fat. Full of sugar

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes agree with others - steer clear of low fat. Look for something that is less than 5g carbs per 100g. I like the Alpro coconut yoghurt and have recently bought Skyr as it was on special offer. Your best bet is to spend some time in the supermarket isle reading all the labels. The variation in carb levels is quite astounding!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Rosie, I understand this is hard to deal with at the beginning. But it's useful to realise that you crave something sweet, rather than needing it.
Full fat natural yogurt isn't sweet at all but as already mentioned, you can add sweetener to it.
There is also sugar free jellies, next to the ordinary jellies. You can buy them ready to eat, but at nearly 70p a pop, they're not cheap!
You can make up your own, I make mine in disposable plastic cups, add a couple berries and some cream. Maybe try that?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks again everyone. Sorry to keep posting but will get the hang of it soon

Rosie, you post as often as you need to! No question too small, honestly. We have all been where you are now, and understand how it can make you feel lost (and upset!). Whatever you want to find out, suggestions for meals, food to avoid, there will be someone around to help you:)

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. I find night time the worse as I feel I need something snack but nothing I have done will stop that. If I have a piece of fruit, then I want something savoury, then something sweet. I end up going to bed

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you. I find night time the worse as I feel I need something snack but nothing I have done will stop that. If I have a piece of fruit, then I want something savoury, then something sweet. I end up going to bed

You have got my empathy Rosie, this sounds very familiar to me. Not sure if you have overeating, or binge issues, but if so, you are definitely not alone with that!

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a savoury snack I bought some pork scratchings as I saw someone mention them on the forum. There's no carbs and they are yummy. I made some little sugar free fat free"cakes" the other night too. To make 6, mash up a banana, then beat it together with 2 eggs. Grease a 6 hole muffin tin and put about 5 fresh raspberries in each compartment. Pour the banana and egg mixture over them, then bake for 15 minutes at regulo 5. They are not quite like normal cakes, but are not bad as a little treat.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For a savoury snack I bought some pork scratchings as I saw someone mention them on the forum. There's no carbs and they are yummy. I made some little sugar free fat free"cakes" the other night too. To make 6, mash up a banana, then beat it together with 2 eggs. Grease a 6 hole muffin tin and put about 5 fresh raspberries in each compartment. Pour the banana and egg mixture over them, then bake for 15 minutes at regulo 5. They are not quite like normal cakes, but are not bad as a little treat.
Thanks for that, I will try them

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or try making some nut butter fudge. I use 1 tbsp of peanut butter (could use almond instead), 2 tbsp of double cream and a teaspoon of sweetener. Mix together and it forms a thick paste which is a bit like fudge. I suppose you could grate in a bit of dark chocolate too.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Always full fat with all dairy products.
I make my own yoghurt occasionally.
Spoon full of full fat live yoghurt needed if you don't want to be bothered with cultures.
Make sure the yoghurt has been at room temperature for a few hours to liven up the little creatures that live in there.
You don't need to weigh measure or count anything.
Bring some milk to the boil .... but only just you need to be there and soon as you see it about to boil remove it from the heat.
Cool down to warm to the touch of your knuckle.
Stir in the live room tempertaure yoghurt ... gently you don't want loads of air agiteted into it.
That's it.
Just pour into seal able container leaving a bit of space at the top for expansion.
I have an old fashioned airing cupboard as my dark warm place to leave it to ferment. 24 hrs in these conditions and you have full fat plain live yoghurt .... doesn't come much fresher than that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can anyone recommend the best yoghurt to eat.

The full fat version of the Onken Natural Yogurt has only 3.8g of carbs per 100g, it's delicious and I was buying it before discovering Lidl's Milbona Greek Yogurt.........which again is creamy and delicious.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you like hot chocolate?
I find it kills the munchies dead, and this recipe is fine if you are doing LCHF,

Low Carb Hot Choc
Boil kettle.
Add a heaped teasp of good quality cocoa powder to a big mug (not 'hot choc mix, cos that has milk powder and sugar added)
Add 1.5 ish heaped teasp of sugar substitute to mug
Make the powders into a paste with a dribble of water (get rid of the lumps)
Add boiling water and stir until smooth
Top up with double cream.
Add caramel, lemon, orange or mint essences, if desired
Enjoy

All quantities adjustable

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I enjoy Alpro Simply Plain. It is only 2.1g carbs per 100g. It is very tasty, is cheaper than Fage and has about half the calories.