What's going on - sudden hike in BS readings

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi everyone/anyone

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 for exactly a year (on 11 August). Am on metformin x 500 and have been getting good results with tests up until Monday this week when all of a sudden fasting test 1st thing in the morning is 9.0 where it was anything from 6.5 to 7.3 before and when I've tested before tea it is 8.6 when it was previously anything from 5.4 to 6.6. This has been going on all week now. I haven't changed anything in my diet, feel OK apart from being tired. Although quite stressed at work, daughter is due to give birth in next 3 weeks and dad is on list for a double heart bypass :( :( apart from that everything is fine ha ha :lol:

Could this mean I will need to increase meds or do you think it is a blip?

Thanks for your help.

Chris J

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You sound quite stressed with all that going on!! Do you have a virus by any chance? I would go and see your doctor if I was you just to get yourself checked out.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Yes am very stressed but usually thrive on it.

Not sure about virus, I know once before I had slightly higher bs and then a few days later I got a cold, but it wasn't as high as it has been this week.

We have had one case of swine flu where I work but as I said in previous post I feel OK, maybe should test my temperature as also getting hot sweats - could be high sugar or menopause - what a choice!

Will keep an eye on it this weekend and go see doc next week if no improvement because not due to see diabetic team till 17 September for annual check.

Thanks for your response Sue

Chris J :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hormonal changes could be the answer Chris,Test when you 'flush' see if there is a rise!!

Spiral

My blood sugar does some very odd things around the time my period is due. I'm 47 and my cycle has got a bit shoter in the last couple of years, but I'm not sure where I am with the menopause. I think I may ask for a blood test for that when I see my GP. Even if you are in to the menopause your body still goes through a monthly cycle, for many years after your periods stop.

3 cycles in to regular testing (several times aday to pick up spikes and pre-prandial levels), I'm seeing odd readings from about 3-4 days before my period starts to 2-3 days after. My fasting readings have been on the high side and I'm having liver dumps, especialy in the mornings.

I get lots of quite hypo-y feelings, this cycle when I have tested I have been quite low, but last cycle I'd get these sensations and I'd be anything up to a couple of points higher than I'd expect :shock: :? so I don't know if I just caught a liver dump or if the hypoy feelings were down to something else.

I'd love to chat about how to manage blood sugar around this time of the month because I don't like those swings, especialy when they are swinging quite high, but I'm only here this evening because I'm having my cuppa before I start to get stuff ready for my holiday, animal instructions etc.

This time I have tried to consume a protien based snack more regularly between meals, but I'm not sure how effective that has been, it seemed to be effective on a couple of days, but then I lost the plot with the tests at work :roll: I was 7.7 this morning about 90 minutes after breakfast :shock:

cjohnson

Dislikes
I've got my testing kit at the ready - whats the betting I dont get another flush tonight!

Any men listening close your ears and apologies! I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago but because I have ovaries I still get the premenstrual type stuff like wanting to fill my face with sweet things however since been diagnosed have done best to ignore these feelings :evil:

I have just had another thought I have started a new pack of testing strips and I wonder whether this has some bearing on the higher levels. :roll:

Chris J

Spiral

B*gg*r*d if I know why there is a need to apologise for our biology. I get a bit fed up with the assumption that there is something a bit unmentionable about what are perfectly normal bodily functions. Embarassment stops us getting treatment when we need it.

Are your current cravings the ones you had pre-hysterectomy? Your ovaries carry on working waaaaaaaaaay in to advanced menopause and produce lots of hormones that have all kinds of beneficial effects, including reducing the risk of osteoporois. There is a lot on the "Our Bodies, Ourselves" website about this - a womens health resource which includes lots of stuff doctors generally don't tell us because the usual model for what passes as normal is male :shock: :evil: :roll: Excellent website, although writtne in American :)

You could try checking your machine with the solutins that came with it - if you don't have any, contact the manufacturer and they will send you some freebies to test it with. This is what I did when I got my odd readings - I checked my machine. it also coencided with my second meter arriving and so I not only checked it with the control solutions, I checked it against another machine too.

It has come a a shock exactly how far in advance of the start of my period that my blood sugar is affected, at the same time I'm just full of awe for the amazing feedback loops that go on in my body and how it regualtes all kinds of things (or not in the case of my blood sugar :roll: )

I want to learn how I can manage it to avoid the extremes. I think next time I will try a little and slightly more frequent approach to eating and maybe try to cut the carbs a bit more.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Yes and just checked meter and OK although test solution out of date - better get some new stuff. Just had flush and tested 9.6 - getting worse although did have a few chips at teatime with my chicken and salad but they don't usually have this effect.

Chris :cry: