What's living with type 1 like as you get older?

Devlin Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello There,

I' a 31 yrs old diabetic on the Pump. I've been diabetic for 15 yrs, I've noticed i'm getting ill more often and it's hitting me much harder then before, also the " Problems are staring to crop up".

What I would like to know is....
Does living with Diabetes get markedly worse as you get older, and how does it effect you at work?

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I have had type 1 for 25 years and over the past couple of years I have noticed glitches, the last one in August, but that was not due to diabetes. Many Type 1's have had very few problems or some none at all. some with having it a shorter time can have more medical problems. It can be down to many things, but I work, some physical jobs ( more last year) and I am still very active and wont let diabetes control me or get me down, even though sometimes I find it frustrating especially with shock,worry,stress, hospital procedures or accidents, as this can shoot my BS up for weeks, which isn't good.
We can only do the best we can and sometimes give diabetes a swift kick up the backside from time to time :rolleyes:to show who is the boss.

Take care

RRB:)

Reactions: 9 people

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic for decades (45 years) and am feeling pretty good. A bit like Robinredbreast, I'm ignoring the general things that probably happen to everyone over 50.

A few years ago, after my diabetic brother died prematurely, we decided to "retire" early. Sold the house, moved to the back of beyond. These days, now I am not getting up at 5am, working a long day, and getting back home at 7pm, I probably take a little more time to pay attention to my diabetes. In reply to your question, I'd say my work affected my diabetes, rather than the other way round.

Nowadays I feel really well. I suppose I am no longer striving for anything, and contentment, which seems highly underrated, is great for one's wellbeing.

I hope problems stop cropping up for you.

Reactions: 11 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
51 and 30 year plus T1.

No complications but had some back ground retinopathy a few years back that has completely gone.

Had slow colonic transit diagnosed which disappeared after removing jelly babies for hypo's and having flaxseed daily.

Had sude effects from statins. Gone pretty much now, although this took ages.

Colds and viruses hit me big time, but think this is more to do with the viruses being stronger, than my immune system being weaker... Everybody seems to be really getting wiped out nowadays, not just me!!

So for me... Nope... No worsening..

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm 39 and have been T1 for 26+ years now. Very minor background retinopathy, which comes and goes, but has never been anything more than that, and fingers crossed, no other complications. I've travelled, participated in life and plan to continue to do so.

It's not straight forward and you do need to work at it, but I wouldn't say that I was suffering particularly from illnesses or degradation of life particularly. I have had maybe 5 days off work ill in the last four years, so I can't say I've really noticed that I have any worse symptoms now than ten or twenty years ago.

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hello There,

I' a 31 yrs old diabetic on the Pump. I've been diabetic for 15 yrs, I've noticed i'm getting ill more often and it's hitting me much harder then before, also the " Problems are staring to crop up".

Does living with Diabetes get markedly worse as you get older, and how does it effect you at work?
Hi @Devlin Mc
this is a great first post -- straight to the heart of the matter :)

I am 56 years old diagnosed age 14 in 1972
am currently using multiple daily injections basal /bolus but awaiting going on a pump.

I like other posters do not let the D rule my life although with this condition does come some be careful advice that is needed to keep problems to a minimum.
things like always wearing shoes and socks , lots of testing , annual eye checks , etc etc are all important and should never be ignored thinking it won't happen to me.

i do have some issues that have developed over the years -- i will list them -- but as said earlier they don't rule me -- I live life to the full.

frozen shoulder - have had this a few times over the years
duytrupens( spelling ?) contracture - have had 5 fingers operated on
retinopathy -- small bits of laser done in 2002 and 2012 currently trialling a non invasive sleep mask link here http://www.noctura.com/

so far that is about it -- colds and flu do hit me big time but not any more often than other peeps -- just have to test more and be careful with injections

while in work i had my moments -- stress can affect BG's but as we age hopefully we learn to live and let live more
i was in sales for a job and generally enjoyed working - i always told colleagues i was Diabetic - just in case ;)

i feel lucky and as i have retired this year ( hurrah ! ) I am doing more relaxing things.

also doing some voluntary work locally with my diabetic group

hope this helps :)

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had type 1 diabetes for 33 years and apart from diabetic retinopathy I've not had too many problems over the years, when we get older we can suffer from all the other ailments that non-diabetics can suffer from and it's important not to put everything down to diabetes, as this isn't always the case.

Reactions: 8 people

Devlin Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your messages, I am very grateful for words of advise and encouragement. It's good to know that the future isn't all doom and gloom thanks to the "BIG D".

Work is very important to me and I love what I do, you've all made me feel much better about how to ensure I get to carry on enjoying my career.

Thanks again.
and any advise on avoiding office biscuits would also be handy!!

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you all for your messages, I am very grateful for words of advise and encouragement. It's good to know that the future isn't all doom and gloom thanks to the "BIG D".

Work is very important to me and I love what I do, you've all made me feel much better about how to ensure I get to carry on enjoying my career.

Thanks again.

Have a look at the nine bar threads, or take in some nuts, cheese, carrot sticks with a little dip, if you like a snack. Lots of members like the higher % chocolate. My teenager and I love raspberries, if I buy a punnet, then they are gone, very swiftly :)

Keep your chin up and enjoy the rest of the day

RRB :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do wear 'proper" shors and socks. I think this is paramount to keeping your feet and legs healthy.

When I was diagnosed I was told flat, lace ups. Speedy ducks were fantastic but the company went that made them.

I've kept to flatties except weddings and funerals. I have perfect shaped legs apparently and my feet are good with good circulation still.

Little things help. Currently always in my skechers which I have to admit are like wearing slippers. Gardening I have stainless steel toe boots unless working on river banks which I tend to wear my cut off wellies.
Got told the only thing that keeps your feet in high heel slip ons is the fact they squidege your feet because they are too small...so flatties have been a great help to keeping my legs and feet without problems..

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks again.

Just decline the biscuits but polity thank them for the offer, or explain that you don't want to eat them due to your diabetes. Best wishes.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello There,

Hello Devlin, 54 years old and type 1 for 50 years minus a couple of months.
Diabetes has never affected my working, have a few other autoimmune problems but otherwise fit and well.