What's the chances....

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got up this morning, checked my pump as usual - battery going low. Made note to change it when I do a set change later on today. Got my bg meter out to do my pre-breakfast reading, battery completely dead. Oops, no batteries in the house (I've sent husband to get a couple while I'm at work). My techno-wizard 9 year old somehow managed to get it working for me so I could test (I've no idea how he managed it). Trouble is school wouldn't let me take him to work with me for when I next need to test. :joyful:

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Freestyle Optium - it takes round batteries which don't generally go in anything else in the house. We're stocking up today!!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always carry a spare battery for my meter in my insulin pen case, just in case. For some reason it's an odd one as well that you can't get easily on the high street, so I got one from the meter manufacturer.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have to pay for them from the manufacturer? Do they deliver relatively quickly?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, free and arrived within a couple of days, same with cables, covers etc.

I think with batteries they'll give you one every three months or so in my case.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With optium I thought you had to contact them when the battery was dead?

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phoned them this morning after reading Dave's post but they no longer send out batteries - you have to buy them yourself from your local shops. Once upon a time you had to send your meter off to them so they could replace the battery (that was back in the day when I wasn't really bothered about not having a meter for a couple of days!)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Freestyle Optium - it takes round batteries which don't generally go in anything else in the house. We're stocking up today!!

Same battery's as the Aviva Nano I was using, the manufacturers will supply them for free if you ring their Customer care-ine. always keep a few battery's spare as these things do happen unexpectedly.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dont you have a spare? i have 6 meters around different spots - try and get the same for sake of strips but one of the free ones off the website is always a good backup as you know you get 10/25 tests handy then.

actually no i have 7 - forgot the ketne meter

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 2 but had to fight for the 2nd!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Liking the look of the new Freestyle Optium Neo - might get that as a spare seeing as it's free. It looks like it uses the same test strips too. I used to keep old ones as spare but my dsn told me to throw them away as apparently after 5 years you're not supposed to use them??????

iHs

The 2032 batteries can be bought in many of the ££££ type of shops and are used in many bg meters and in many other battery run gadgets around the home

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mine has a 3V 2450 battery, which I couldn't find anywhere on the high street, but a quick search has them all over Amazon and the like.

The 2032 would be ideal, I have those hanging around the house for a whole load of other gadgets

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So after sending husband out to buy me enough batteries to last forever my bg meter decided it didn't need a new battery after all. Even the low battery warning sign has disappeared. I think it got out of bed on the wrong side. However, NOW I am prepared!! :watching: