1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 What's the current soundtrack to you life ?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by jjraak, Dec 7, 2018.

1. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Since coming on here my mood has lightened tremendously, thanks to the good advice and camaraderie shown by so many.

But we all have bad days and one of the things that helps me over those humps in life has been music.

Now way am i connoisseur, but i do like music, of many different sorts.

Just curious what other peoples choices are right now.and what were some of the songs in the soundtrack to their lives
    at individual times as well...

as in what song takes you back to a certain point OR what songs run through your head to sustain through some more difficult moments.

I'm old enough to remember david dundas and 'My blue jeans' which ran around my head when i was late teens, first motorbike, first real relationship..then onto thin lizzie, the boys are back in town..oh, happy days.

Breaking up of a few relationships left it's musical marks with tracks of my tears smokey robinson, 'Nothing compares to you' sinead o'connor

Later was a lot of the motown classics, then on to pink floyd, supertramp, vangelis..i'm sure we all have loads of our own

Well, since being diagnosed i've taken up running..(poor effort, but one can only try), and the music + bluetooth earphones has been ideal.

Well what brings me to this post, was this morning the misses has been a bit, 'Nippy' with me or so i thought,,maybe i was just feeling sensitive..but i know she has her own crosses to bear and is struggling with menopausal symptoms.

I want to be cool, so bit my tongue, bless her, i know how much the hot sweats etc bother her.
    and instead, a song i run to hit a nice little resonance in my mind, and i thought yeah..that's me at the moment.,
    Not sure if i can link to youtube, but the song is imagine dragons "Whatever it takes"

Link here if acceptable ?
    NB: No inappropriate images or wording, but as always viewer caution is advised.
    Imagine dragons

I'd love to hear other peoples choices.

• Like Like x 5
    #1 jjraak, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This sounds kinda nuts probably, but I've been downlately and worrying a lot.... And right now I've got Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry, Be Happy playing. It doesn't change anything, not really... But for as long as it's playing, things seem a little lighter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Snap @JoKalsbeek , I just searched it and was listening to it on You Tube and in the meantime you had posted. Here’s a link:

Also Eric Idles ‘Always Look in the Bright Side of Life’ springs to mind. I won’t post a link as there’s one tiny little profanity and as a mod I can’t condone it ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Diawara

Diawara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

weekends i listen to bbc radio 6 maryanne hobbs mornings don letts evenings or craig charles wonderful choice of music..
    youtube or spotify.. talking heads this must be the place , new order blue monday, al stewart time passages, temptations just my imagination, yes roundabout,, ian dury hit me with your rythmn stick , lindisfarne clear white light, ac/dc thunderstruck, gruppo sportivo armee monika, fatoumata diawara sowa, nils frahm winged victory, mory kante yeke yeke, genesis musical box. cure last days of summer ,royal scots dragoon band amazing grace and also the monty python one as well @Rachox .
    thats a few to be going on with....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #4 Diawara, Dec 7, 2018 at 10:09 AM
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi I am not type 2, but I like many type's of music, but Motown is my first love, it's The ( Four) Tops :happy:

I chose this song because of a serious situation that happened at the end of June and into July this year, title says it all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

For all the people who have found life hard and unpredictable, especially with a life long medical condition :- After talking to someone, they asked if I have knew this song, so I googled it :-

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I have been playing this a lot makes me feel at peace with my self when out of sorts or depressed.
    Jan Garbarek - Parce Mihi Domine

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. jjraak

Hi @jo.
    hope that 'Funny' didn't cause offence.
    meant it nicely, strange how sometimes the oddest things can help us.:headphone:
    Cool choice.

@Rachox, love the link..just easier and really brings to 'thread' to life...:happy:

@Robinredbreast..posted in as type 2, through lack of thinking, apologies..thank you for posting up.
    what a classic...remembered as listening while working on my old cord cortina.
    and good that you seem to have overcome your difficulties, i hope, and stayed alive.

and @Diawara, some i know and will happily take a listen to the others...
    i do love being introduced to music i wasn't aware of.
    cheers for posting up.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jjraak

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Given the rather sad news we had yesterday I've been listening to The Buzzcocks. Ever fallen in love... Soundtrack of my youth and one of those tracks that stopped and made me think way back in the day!.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. Diawara

try youtube toumani diabate and sidiki diabate ..jarabi if you want uplifting ..i dont know how to upload video

• Like Like x 1
  12. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Early morning alarms from my MiaoMiao and this is on my playlist and I ask "Alexa" to play it for me until my bloods return to normal

OR when things are really getting me down.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. jjraak

when i lost my dad, i was in the worst place of my life,
    this among others was something i found most settling.

• Hug Hug x 3
  14. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don’t have a soundtrack to my life neccassarily but constantly have random songs stuck in my head on loop. Despite having my work office to myself all day, the radio blasting all sorts of tunes, going round round in my head is Dannii Minogues version of the Melba Moore disco classic ‘This is it’
    I say her version, any song in my head is always my own voice singing it, mumbling the bits I don’t know, and belting out the bits I do. I’m sure there’s a mini me on a karaoke machine dancing away in my brain. Perhaps I need a whole different forum for this issue as all of my friends find it very strange that It’s my own voice I hear :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. jjraak

#edit/delete to reflect later post

As for uploading.
    hit and copy link (address bar) from youtube, then inside YOUR post, select MEDIA..the film reel on toolbar above.
    embed is simply paste THAT youtube link inside it..Job, jobbed.

HTH's..(obviously, like any public forum, with respect to inappropriate imagery or wording.

Did slightly remind of this for some odd reason.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #15 jjraak, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  16. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not offended at all! Knew exactly what you meant. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Diawara

as you say quirky but nice no not the one ..but ill have a go

• Like Like x 1
  18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Got to be a bit of our Freddy... all day long.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Diawara

• Like Like x 2
  20. Diawara

watch this all the while
    this has been an entertaining thread thank god i got rained off from work and online instead of cleaning the house!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #20 Diawara, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:14 AM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook