What's the foods for Muslims during Ramadan

G

graj0

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ramadan

Added: 24:00 9/9/2015

Having read it more fully, it's not great advice, diabetes wise.

I don't have much experience except that I have just been in hospital, in a room next to a room occupied by a young Muslim, a type II on insulin who had had a leg amputated as a complication of his diabetes.

I don't know what he does during Ramadan, but as he'd been in hospital for 9 weeks, waiting for housing, he was able to come and go as he pleased. He seemed to enjoy pizza and chips a couple of times while I was there, so no idea what that means.

As fasting during Ramadan is between the hours of sunrise and sunset, you can eat between sunset and sunrise, would that just not mean it's all down to slightly different timing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's nothing wrong with fasting for Type 2s. In fact it's good for them, if they don't binge on sweet stuff after sunset. But of course the article doesn't mention that! There's no point in fasting for Type 1s because even an injection breaks your fast, and a constant infusion breaks your fast (as with a pump), so you are not considered to be fasting even if you're not eating. And the article doesn't mention that either. If you can't fast for medical reasons, you pay for someone else to fast for you (that is, you pay for the food of a student or someone else with little money, for a month). So you "earn" the spiritual benefit of the fast anyway. So, it's no big deal health wise. What you're reading about in that article is people who feel a need to conform with "normies". In other words, they're still in denial.

There are plenty of diabetics like that everywhere.They also lose their limbs.

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ramadanAs fasting during Ramadan is between the hours of sunrise and sunset, you can eat between sunset and sunrise, would that just not mean it's all down to slightly different timing?
Yes. People break their fast with a big iftar, then eat an early breakfast c. 3am before dawn. Both meals become very festive - lots of delicious foods. It would be hard to eat a low carb version - it could be managed though. People would just have to avoid the rice and focus on meats, vegetables and salads.

Meals in Ramadan are very traditional and full of cultural meaning. It's not like ordinary eating. I don't think people need suggestions from outside on what to eat, myself.

Having lived in the Middle East fifteen years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are well over a million Muslims in Britain. So I want to share you with an article about the Diabetic Muslims choice during Ramadan below:

http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/sh...cle_4c0c5941-755d-5900-bd33-88fb519ab36a.html

I hope anyone can give some good advice for them.
Hi my husbands a Muslim and I lived in Iran for nearly 20 years. Iranian food us delicious !!! Still cook it now. It's so healthy, I use a lot of there food in my diet. My sugars were 24.3 and didn't know now after 3 months my sugars are 7plus and my colestral has gone fr 8 to 3.3 and yriclicerite a halved! If I've made any spelling mistakes sorry my eyes are dismayed been to eye hospital today.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL, good luck with the eyes maureen5752, I guess they'll be alright in a couple of hours.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need to decide whether to operate, got macular and cataracts in both eyes, 1 in a 100 op doesn't work, 1 in 100 causes blindness! Still people worse off than me that's how I look at it, been disabled since I was 4, got through the Iran /Iraq war so I can get through anythink. How's your day been, sugars ok?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear, I though you just meant that you had that pupil-dilating stuff in your eyes. good luck with your treatment.

Reactions: 2 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, I though you just meant that you had that pupil-dilating stuff in your eyes. good luck with your treatment.
Yeh did have that stuff in my eyes today. Going to have eye op soon, but worried of outcome but what can you do just got to keep going. How are you ok I hope. Us diabetics have got to stick together.