what's the lowest BG you got to bed with?

Simon789

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If my BG is below 7 before going to bed at night I will eat a snack up to 10g of carbs as I can drop up to 3-4 mmols over night. What's the lowest you are happy to go to bed and do you snack before bed to raise your BG?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you basal tested? Sounds like it might need adjusting. It is said if we wake up 30+ points higher to add a unit and 30+ lower to reduce a unit.

I adjust my lantus based on my pre bed reading by one unit either way

What insulin and doses are you on?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to go to bed with a blood sugar in the 5's on a normal night, or up to 7 on a sensor change night (as I may doubt the accuracy of the readings). I would go to sleep on a flat value in the high 4's if I knew the sensor was accurate. I would generally bolus for any values above 6 unless I suspected that I would drop anyway (still have some IOB, exercise, etc).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I often go to bed at around 5, but my basal insulin amounts are pretty well calculated, and I have the benefit of an artificial pancreas to help. My overnight target glucose level is 5.3mmol/l.

Simon789

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you basal tested? Sounds like it might need adjusting. It is said if we wake up 30+ points higher to add a unit and 30+ lower to reduce a unit.

Levermir 8 units morning and 6 units at night and Novorapid on a ratio of 1 unit to 10g

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On MDI like you @Simon789 I used to like to be in the 6s minimum. Even now, as an adult and with a pump, I'm always careful about my blood sugar before going to bed. Safety is the most important thing for me.

I'd never correct a 6 at bedtime. if I feel my blood sugar might be on the way up or I'm worried that my evening meal is still active, then I test around 2am to see what's happening.

I seem to remember being told not to go to bed below 7 or 8 when I was younger. If you're concerned, then your DSN should be able to,advise you about what a sensible number would be for you. It depends a lot on your age and how the basal affects you.

chrissargent

DAFNE recommends between 6 and 7. Personally 5 is the lowest I will go. I'm more concerned going to bed high as I have a pronounced dawn rise.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my BG is below 7 before going to bed at night I will eat a snack up to 10g of carbs as I can drop up to 3-4 mmols over night. What's the lowest you are happy to go to bed and do you snack before bed to raise your BG?
Usually a sandwich but last night my mum was walking past the living room and said 'have two brioches' to me. I groaned and then realised my mum WON'T have made a sandwich REGARDLESS and had what she told me to have

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

NovoRapid - Fast acting- varies
Levemir - Long - Doesn't do what it should. Changed tomorrow
Mystery long acting insulin - Tomorrow getting it AND finding out what it is. Might need new long acting pen

dmtaukhua123

Type of diabetes
HCP
On MDI like you @Simon789 used to like to be in the 6s minimum. Even now, as an adult and with a pump, I'm always careful about my blood sugar before going to bed. Safety is the most important thing for me.

I'd never correct a 6 at bedtime. if I feel my blood sugar might be on the way up or I'm worried that my evening meal is still active, then I test around 2am to see what's happening.

I seem to remember being told not to go to bed below 7 or 8 when I was younger. If you're concerned, then your DSN should be able to,advise you about what a sensible number would be for you. It depends a lot on your age and how the basal affects you.

thanks for useful infomation ;););)