Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

D

Deleted member 308541

Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

I would really like to know.

Life goes on for me as I control T2 as best I can, I have lowered my bgl, weight, and eat pretty well minus the big four - spuds, rice, pasta and pastry.

This is all in the last eleven months since I was put on Metformin.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
While I think that recording meter readings alongside what I ate and what meds I was taking helped me immensely and allowed me to see what was having particular impact on my blood sugar levels...the single most important thing I learned early on was that carbohydrates effectively change into sugar in the blood - that changed how I looked at the food I was buying, and was far more valuable than simply being told to avoid sugary things! I also think this is a very good question which could be very helpful to new members.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While I think that recording meter readings alongside what I ate and what meds I was taking helped me immensely and allowed me to see what was having particular impact on my blood sugar levels...the single most important thing I learned early on was that carbohydrates effectively change into sugar in the blood - that changed how I looked at the food I was buying, and was far more valuable than simply being told to avoid sugary things! I also think this is a very good question which could be very helpful to new members.
Yes 1 reason I posted this , and because we all learn from each other.
''carbohydrates effectively change into sugar in the blood''- Works for me I am going to think of this , thanks.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
''carbohydrates effectively change into sugar in the blood''- Works for me I am going to think of this , thanks.

Agreed- this is the thing I believe most people would have to get the heads around: bread, pasta, potatoes- even brown rice and oatmeal- not necessarily safe options.
For me it was the related issue that sugar *is* a carbohydrate. I really hadn't thought of it in such terms.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will always consider anything I read or advice given with an open mind and consideration but what I have learnt is it's my diabetes not anyone else's and I will do what is best for my diabetes not anyone else's.

I know that may sound ungrateful and arrogant but I learnt that it's a lifetime thing that has to be doable so what's better for me extreme low carb with lots of falls and fails or moderate low carbs and a steady keep to lifestyle choice with good results and a peaceful mind

Phew that went deep lol

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
It's not a walk in the park. You can do everything right but your body doesn't always reflect the hard work put in eg blood sugars and HA1c results.

Understanding what triggers and what to do when sugars not so hot is important. Plus medical people's advice is not always as helpful as this forum. Great responses from people who have been there.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As others have said, eating to my meter is the most important thing.

I think I've learned that diabetes isn't a fixed state - it constantly keeps shifting the goal posts. What might be okay for me one week might not work for me the following week and different combinations of foods react in different ways - so I need to keep vigilant and keep testing.

I've also learned to be a bit more experimental with my food and eat things and in ways that I wouldn't have considered before diagnosis.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That I can eat as much protein, fat and above ground veg as I like and still control my BG and lose weight. But I must not eat bread and rice, paster or any drink fruit juice along with limiting below ground veg and tropical fruit.

B

badcat

Discovering that I am a diabetic - everything else stems from this simple fact,

I think
1) accepting that I have diabetes
2) discovering that one size doesnt fit all people with diabetes and that I can make individual choices regarding diet, medication etc informed by my results from eating to the meter etc
3) Diabetes is a sneaky little ****** and will throw you curve balls along the way - dont get complacent

Reactions: pleinster

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

If it's one thing it's eating to the meter if it's 2 things it's getting An app to monitor how much activity I do everyday. If it's three things it's getting a blood pressure meter. So all in all the one thing is self monitoring. ( sadly you can't trust " the professionals" who seem to have believe systems and patients are commodified within their statistics )

Reactions: pleinster

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many things I am learning, and all from this forum.
Eat to your meter
Don't deprive yourself
And one thing, and very important, is that some obese people struggle to lose weight no matter how hard they try. It is not their fault.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That blood glucose can be controlled by going low enough as type 2 diabetic still producing insulin and that it is easier to lose weight if one gets insulin levels as low as possible when also still relying on naturally produced insulin of cause combined with eating less. The third valuable knowledge I have gained is How beneficial fasting is in lowering the too far raised insulin in type 2 diabetics

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi and letstalk1