WHAT'S the most impressive thing you've done whilst having a hypo?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondered...2 stand out for me:
1 Sold a Personal Training package whilst at 3.1 at work today
2 Managed to exit the M25 junction 13 (unlucky for me) and get myself and car to petrol station without crashing. Possibly a better option than passing out on the hard shoulder.
To be balanced by all the times when I have passed out, got injured, hit my husband etc. of course!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got all my Mom's medicines and medical records together and called a taxi to take me to the hospital when I was approximately at a 45 (American reading) when my Mom had a cerebral aneurysm burst at 5AM. Then a trip in an ambulance to Norfolk, VA (where the nearest trauma center is located). Luckily the driver had to stop & get gas so I got a peanut butter sandwich in the store and a small OJ (on orders of the driver - she noticed I was dropping and found my meter kit and checked me - was 44 then). Not a fun period of time.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Built a major part of a theatre set for Romeo and Juliet. It was only when I was trying to figure out how I was going to convert over 30 plastic beer crates into a stairway to the gallery and was walking round in circles like a bored leopard, that I decided I needed to test... 1.3
I had just started to get auras and shake terribly. I attacked the remains of food left over in the same building. I then went to find my wife at 00.15
Don't miss that.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Boring one: Cooking. I now know I can cook while hypo but it leaves a terrible mess in the kitchen.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Just wondered...2 stand out for me:
1 Sold a Personal Training package whilst at 3.1 at work today
2 Managed to exit the M25 junction 13 (unlucky for me) and get myself and car to petrol station without crashing. Possibly a better option than passing out on the hard shoulder.
To be balanced by all the times when I have passed out, got injured, hit my husband etc. of course!
Surely 13 was helpful in this case?!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I should suppose Sir Thomas More wasn't to happy to find himself there in the 1500's either.

Even though he was in a pub.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I broke down in an aisle in Morrison's and I was sitting on the floor crying and confused because I thought there was a conspiracy going on, my poor daughter was with me, she was aged about 7/8 then.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
1990 While working on the organ of Our Lady of Victories in Kensington High Street, I was asked by John Bailey, the Ipswich Manager to go and buy some lunch for both of us. “Here is £10”. Being a ‘naturally obedient’ individual, I walked to Marks and Spencer’s at the east end of the street, next to Barker’s. This necessitated crossing four side roads. Having arrived in the Food Hall, I remember picking up a cheaper packet of sandwiches for John, who was perched high above the ground in a navy grey bird hide, (actually a Swell box in the organ) and a Melton Mowbray pork pie for me. I was having enormous difficulty with calculating the carbohydrate total. The next part of the story brings me to the church kitchen, at least forty minutes later. John was standing the other side of the table looking quizzically at me:
“Er, did you get the sandwiches?”
“I think so” (He spotted them on the table with evidence of some consumption).
“Er, did you actually get a receipt?”
“I don’t know.”
“Well, where is it?”
After ‘swimming' through my wallet, shoulder bag and pockets, I returned £10 to John.
“Er do you realise that you must have stolen those?”
I was on the verge of unconsciousness.
I have no recollection of paying the store back, and contacted them years later at their customer services, where I spoke to a very helpful Tariq, who told me not to worry. At the very least I would like to thank them for their contribution to the food industry. I hope that security now is better than twenty [now 29] years ago!