What's your favourite bolus type?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Following on from @ewelina posting about the Super Bolus, I thought it might be an interesting question to find out what bolus type people use the most on their pumps.

I've found that Multi-wave is by far my favourite as it seems to smooth out my bg levels really effectively after eating and allows me to take protein and fats into account on the pump.

What's your favourite?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It really depends what your diet is. I do lots of extended boluses for protein and fat and super bolus for carbs/sugar

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I use the multi-wave a lot as I find it smooths out the proteins and fats.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am just learning to use extended boluses. A couple of times I've had great success with them, but I don't feel confident estimating protein and fat. So far my fave is the superbolus, though I could use that more too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Prior and after starting on pump I found all the different bolusing terms bewildering, some of the pump manufacturers have patented terms like Dual Wave so other manufacturers are reluctant to use them in their own literature.

On the pump I use (Omnipod) they just use the term Extended Bolus, but it's just the same as Dual wave where you have the option of bolusing some upfront and the rest over several hours, this is the option I use mainly if the meal is high in fat for example otherwise I just use a normal bolus and administer 15-20 mins before food.

There are occasions I'll use what some would call a Square Wave where you can administer the whole dose over set amount of time, if I'm cooking I use this option and will deliver the bolus over 30-60 mins so that I have some IOB before eating but don't have to leave the food cooking, not used the Square for any longer than an hour.

Reactions: 4 people