1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When is too much fat bad

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by RoyG, Oct 20, 2012.

  1. RoyG

    RoyG · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    350
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    58
    I've been reading Loren Cordain's updated paleo diet book. He thinks we should watch out for too much salt, and not eat too much saturated fat. I'm not sure if they are a big problem or not. what is the concensus.
     
  2. borofergie

    borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,169
    Likes Received:
    763
    Trophy Points:
    153
    Much as I respect him, as the "father of Paleo", Cordain's view on fat and salt is different from most of the Paleo community. He has supposed to haved changed his view on saturated fat, but I know that this isn't reflected in the latest edition of his book.

    Most Paleoers think that he was kowtowing to the "mainstream" in not wanting to endorse sat fat. I think that he was scared that people would do "80% Paleo" and get themsleves into trouble by eating lots of fat without really dumping the carbs. If you eat a whole animal, you get lots of saturated fats. I suspect that animal fats (which are only partly saturated) are probably better for you than dairy fats (which are not really Paleo).

    I don't have a view on salt, I don't think that there is strong evidence that links it to blood pressure, and I'm not someone that has ever put extra salt onto their food. I think that you're probably much better have natural "sea salts" than mass produced manufactured salts, but I've never really thought about it. It isn't one of the core Paleo prescriptions.
     
  3. borofergie

    borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,169
    Likes Received:
    763
    Trophy Points:
    153
    In answer to your question: I think that too much fat is only bad if you eat too many carbs with it.

    I think that you should get between 5 to 20% of your energy from carbs (the lower end of the scale is for diabetics and the metabolically deranges), about 15% from protein, which leaves about 65 to 85% from fat.
     
  4. Unbeliever

    Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,551
    Likes Received:
    84
    Trophy Points:
    68

    Love that "metabolically deranged" Borofergie! I would use it to describe myself but fear hat people might just jump on the "deranged" bit! :)
     
  5. borofergie

    borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,169
    Likes Received:
    763
    Trophy Points:
    153
    Wasn't going to say a word Unbeliever ;)
     
  6. Defren

    Defren · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,106
    Likes Received:
    37
    Trophy Points:
    68
    With low carbs I think your body will tell you how much is too much. I think you can only eat so much before you simply can't eat anything else. Have a high carb, high fat diet, you're going to be in trouble.
     
  7. RoyG

    RoyG · Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    350
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    58
    It's difficult to see what he is exactly getting at, as he sways away from dairy products inferring to the renal acid load on our kidneys, which he claims causes osteo porosis ? and seem to be saying from what I can see balance your fats between monounsaturated and saturated, I think as a diabetic some of the paleo diet works but not the fruit bit and plenty of veg, being all veg. I try to stay clear of the starchy ones. Still trying to get my head round this cookie! The Human body is an amazing bit of kit when you think about it, all the chemical exchanges just to nourish you, you can see why when it goes pear shaped it causes havoc.
     
  • Meet the Community

    Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

    Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

    Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

  • Like us on Facebook