When should you get medical help if on insulin?

ClaireG 06

When my DSN covered sick day rules with me she basically just said if i couldn't eat at all to have lucozade instead. I have been unwell today, problems with my blood pressure, headaches, tingly lips and fingers and blurred vision. The Dr put me on antibiotics as he thinks i have a slight urine infection. I know infections often raise BG's but at what level of readings should i take action ie go to the hospital ? This morning my fasting was 10.2 and my levels have been climbing at 6.30pm they were 20.7 :shock: I have taken my insulin at 7pm, 12 units of Humulin M3 and my bloods have gone down to 17.3 now, am going to test again at 9.30 which will be 2hrs after my evening meal.

louiseb

Claire I dont know about insulin as I only take oral meds.
but given the way you have been feeling and your bg numbers I think it would be a good idea to contact NHS direct for further advice or go to a walk in centre if there is one near you?
let us know how you get on and I hope you feel better soon.

LaughingHyena

Do you have any keytone sticks. I think I was told to check if over 10 and/or feeling ill, then ring the hospital if there were keytones.

So far I've not been ill since being on insulin so I've never tested the theory.

Hope you're feeling better soon

ClaireG 06

Thanks Louise :) The walk in centre shuts at 8 so is closed now and last time i went there they said my probs were too complex for them :eek: Have seen out of hours Dr and he put me on the antibiotics. May try NHS direct but usually they just tell me to call out of hours.

jopar

Claire,

You'll on a difficult regime to do corrections, as if you correct with using mixed insulin you are also adding in more background insulin not good, really need a quick acting insulin only..

As to what point to call the medics, sooner rather than later, if you feel unwell then give them a call or pop down A&E, that's what they are there for..

They may give you some quick acting insulin, so you can correct without faffing up your background insulin and some ketone sticks if you haven't got any so that you can monitor your ketone levels..

Take care and never worry about calling the medics

ClaireG 06

Thanks Catherine :D Looks like the Dr telling me to take 12 units instead of 10 before evening meal was right thing to do then :D
Having had DKA before then i get a bit concerned when my BGs rise. Only problem is i have no way of testing Ketones. Must buy some sticks. DSN didn't think i needed them and Dr didn't test for them earlier.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, claire I have urine test sticks , good idea to keep some in for when you might need them. Anna.x

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were on a different insulin regime, with both fast acting and background insulin, you could just inject more of the fast acting. On just mixed insulin I have no idea what you could do. Maybe you could have spare pens of fast acting insulin for correction doeses, I think I've seen people mention doing this on this forum?

You must have a way of testing ketones. Your DSN can't expect you to go to A&E every time you need to check your ketone levels, that's just ridiculous, you need to be prescribed test strips - either urine tests strips or strips for an Optimum Xceed meter which does blood glucose testing. Ketones show up in blood before urine.