when should you go to hospital?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I am asking this on behalf of a friend. Her husband is type 2 and insulin dependant.
He suffered a hypo the other night and his BG reading was 2.something and, after having lucozade, it reduced again to 1.8.
She was worried about it going lower and him going into a diabetic coma and wanted to phone an ambulance but he told her not to. As it was, he was lucky and BG level started to increase.
However, she is worried about any possible next time and asked me to find out
1) At what reading should she call an ambulance and
2) Is it normal for levels to keep reducing before starting to rise

I tried to find the answers on the website but not having any luck.

Thanks for any advice

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes levels can continue to fall, that's why general advice is to take 15 g of glucose, wait 15 min and if it hasn't risen to treat again.
Personally ,my glucose levels have been on a few occasions lower than. that ; though meters aren't always that accurate.
I've also had a couple of times when it seems to have taken ages to get my glucose levels to stay up. It's not pleasant having to keep testing and feeding yourself with glucose but I've never actually considered calling an ambulance.
I think that if her husband was being unco-operative and refusing to take glucose then would be the time to seek outside help.
It is a good idea to have a glucogen injection kit (hypokit). This is an injection that can be given if the person becomes unconcious. It stimulates the liver to release glucose .It will work as long as the person hasn't been drinking lots of alcohol or just run a marathon. ... and in those cases I probably would call an ambulance if someone had a severe hypo.
I have one in my fridge, fortunately my OH has never needed to use it. :)
It is worth trying to work out the reasons for the low .(too much bolus insulin for the food, un planned exercise etc)

Tracey69

HI
I agree with pheonix. After giving glucose a few times adn the sugar and patient are back to a reasonable level, give them something to eat, they need carbohydrate to stop it falling again, but tell your friend that her husband may have high blood sugars for up to a few hours after, but this is common and never change your insulin that day ( i mean don't give extra insulin because levels are high) it will settle on it's own. I am a Type1 and have been for 36yrs.
Hope all goes well.
Tracey

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both so much. Your replies have been really helpful and will hopefully settle her mind a bit.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing I did think was that if she is really worried , she is probably better phoning for help. I should imagine that someone at the ambulance call centre would stay on the line and talk her through giving glucose.
I suspect looking on is more scary than actually experiencing it (though my OH has managed to go to sleep during my worst hypos)

sugar2

If he is conscious, and able to reason with her, I do not think she needs to call an ambulance.

alas, there is no magic number at which an ambulance is required. I have been in teh 1.somethings, and been quite conscious, but been unconcious at a reading of 2.8.

I would say, if he is conscious, and she can get glucose into him, be it by mouth of injection, and she is somewhere, where help could arrive quickly, no need for an ambulance...but,

Even if he is conscious, but won't take any glucose and is lashing out, she should get help.

Completely normal to fall before they rise again.

I have needed an ambuilance a couiple of times (when I was pregnant) I never needed to goto hopital. The ambulance crew come out, and on one occasiona I had co;;apsed in eth street, so they fed me my own glucose tablets until I came round. they then got me to buy a sandwich and sat my in teh back ofthe ambulance whilst I ate it. they then sent me on my way.

the other times I have been unconsious, and then they put a dripp in your arm, and satay with you until you BG is back above (I think) 6. They make sure that there is someone with you. I guess they would only take you to hospital is you didn't come round, or, you did, but they would be leaving you on your own.

It worth passingthis on to your friend, as it may help her persuade her husband. Please also be aware that any hypo, requiring assisance, be it from her, or from a paramedic is something that, on the DVLA forms needs to be reported.