When to go to hospital. Latest blood reading 32.5

PaulWalsh

Hi all.
I'm wondering when should we go to the hospital when hyperglycemic?
My latest blood reading was 32.5 and I'm not feeling the best.
Thanks.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PaulWalsh,

This is really high. A reading as high as this combined with not feeling well, if it were me I would go right now.

Hope all goes well. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: LindiePops

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Call 111 now. Don't wait till morning. Good luck.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To me that sounds very high indeed. If I were in your shoes I would be phoning 111 now for medical help. Do take care and let us know how you get on

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
I'm wondering when should we go to the hospital when hyperglycemic?
My latest blood reading was 32.5 and I'm not feeling the best.
Thanks.

Hi,

I hoped you dialed 111. They will dispatch an ambulance if need be.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello any ketones? If there are ketones, you need to go to A&E. I wouldn’t wait, just go at that level

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... My latest blood reading was 32.5 and I'm not feeling the best. ...
From your first post it sounds like you were diagnosed Type 2. I would want that diagnosis confirmed with an antibody test. If it is in fact Type 1, you would need insulin.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
From what I understand there's high. And high with keytones.
The later has an initial treatment plan if you are on insulin. And if not under control in 2 hours requires an a&e visit

The former if you are just high. While its doing longterm harm is not an emergency you should do what you can to bring it down and consider making a GP visit to discuss your treatment

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I understand there's high. And high with keytones.
The later has an initial treatment plan if you are on insulin. And if not under control in 2 hours requires an a&e visit

The former if you are just high. While its doing longterm harm is not an emergency you should do what you can to bring it down and consider making a GP visit to discuss your treatment

When there is no evidence ketones have been tested (and furthermore are low, or no-existent), I don't think it is our place to suggest a member ride it out. That sort of decision is best taken by a professional, privy to more information than we are.

When person is at 32.5 and "not feeling the best", then, in my view they should be seeking help, without delay.

@PaulWalsh - How are things today?

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said go to A&E now. After your treatment insist on a GAD antibody test and a C-Peptide to check that you are T1 and not T2

Reactions: oldgreymare

PaulWalsh

Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm type 2 and I went to A&E. My ketone levels were low. It turns out that I have a bladder infection which pushed my blood glucose levels up. Apparently being ill can make glucose levels shoot up.!?
I'm feeling OK now after a night of fluids etc.

Thanks a million all.

P.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm type 2 and I went to A&E. My ketone levels were low. It turns out that I have a bladder infection which pushed my blood glucose levels up. Apparently being ill can make glucose levels shoot up.!?

Thanks a million all.

P.
Thank you for coming back to us, and wonderful to hear you're doing better!
And yes, being ill can mess up our diabetes pretty badly. This is the reason diabetics get a flu shot if they want to!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.

Thanks a million all.

P.

Glad you're feeling better, Paul.

When it comes to our health, better safe than sorry.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.

Thanks a million all.

P.

Hi Paul, thanks for the update. Wow, that was some jump, did they say how a type 2 is supposed to get it back down? x

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
I’m type 1 and my glucose levels are up and down like a yo yo. I am going to have the Libra soon and I will then be able to try out sugar surfing which will hopefully put an end to the very low and very high glucose readings. I just have to wait until I can have a face to face consultation which will probably nit be until there is a massive downturn in Covid numbers.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just have to wait until I can have a face to face consultation which will probably nit be until there is a massive downturn in Covid numbers.
Why do you need a face-to-face?
My consultant appointments have been phone conversations (since March) and my training for my new pump (that I got in July) was done through a video call.

Though you might have been better starting your own thread for your comment :) You can probably ask one of the mods to move your comment for you.

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @PaulWalsh,

This is really high. A reading as high as this combined with not feeling well, if it were me I would go right now.

Hope all goes well. Let us know how it turns out.
Hi, those levels are getting very close to Keto A levels, don`t wait see a Dr asap or go to hospital, I know it`s a balance of risk going but in your place I would go, just mask up and do
it while you can.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@ArsenalCath Have you had the dafne course? You might try that if you haven’t done it.

The Libre will be life changing. It tells you 24/7 what your blood sugars are doing. But stopping huge upswings in BG levels I find for me is a matter of timing. A “normal” meal I prebolus half before I eat and then the adjusted rest when I know what I actually ate. But it does depend on what you are eating. I usually don’t prebolus if it’s a higher fat meal.

I think the Libra will help you a lot !