When to measure Blood Sugar

Aadrgon

I know I'm supposed to test 2 hours after eating to see what effect food has on my BG, should I be testing just before eating as well ?

Also, when people are mentioning their BG in posts is that an average for the day or the best result in the day or from a particular time of day.

Started reducing my carb input last week and was pleased to see my BG from an average of 12 to an average of 8 over three days. Today my first reading was 9.4 which is a little discouraging. I normally drink a glass of milk last thing at night because I have trouble sleeping ( I also suffer from apnoea ) could either the milk or the lack of sleep be causing my high results in the morning ?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
When you test depends on what you want from the results. I test at the end of some days, just to see if I have kept on target, or if I feel off colour, to see if that's the cause. If I want to see the effects of a particular food, I test before, 1 hour after and 2 hours after eating.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as a type 1 i test before meals every day and every so often 2 hrs after, i also test if i feel rough/hypo :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Aadrgon said:
I know I'm supposed to test 2 hours after eating to see what effect food has on my BG, should I be testing just before eating as well ?
Hi Aardrgn,
The reason for the test 2 hours after eating is to check whether your BS has dropped back to around where it was before you ate, but if you haven't done a test before your meal, how would you know?

Also, when people are mentioning their BG in posts is that an average for the day or the best result in the day or from a particular time of day.
In some cases it may be their HBA1C, but I suspect where it is a monitor reading it will be the best one from that day! Personally I test each day before breakfast and before evening meal, but my BS is now well controlled. While I was trying to get it under control I used to test before and 2 hours after breakfast and evening meal. That way I was able to see what effect different foods had on me.

Started reducing my carb input last week and was pleased to see my BG from an average of 12 to an average of 8 over three days. Today my first reading was 9.4 which is a little discouraging. I normally drink a glass of milk last thing at night because I have trouble sleeping ( I also suffer from apnoea ) could either the milk or the lack of sleep be causing my high results in the morning ?
Although milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, it is more likely that your morning level is the result of dawn phenomenon. Here's some information on it
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm

Trinkwasser

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -hour.html

I test principally to check my peaks, and also during extra exertions to check for lows or liver dumps. I no longer bother to check fastings except when I'm having a Testing Day

Yesterday: fasting 4.8, post breakfast and evening meal 6.3, post dinner 5.7 so I must be doing something right

2 hour numbers don't work for me, I'm usually back to normal by then but with reactive hypoglycemia this may be an artefact between a 1 hour high and a 3 hour low