When to take prescribed diabetic medication...advice please.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks

I'm Type 2 & currently prescribed 80mg Gliclazide & 1000mg of Metformin, both twice a day. Usually I take my Gliclazide 20-30 minutes before food & the Metformin during or just after eating. Today I took my first dose of meds around 7.30am. No problem there. However, my main meal today was at 3pm, so I took my second lot of meds then. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Should I have taken my second dose of my medication at my "normal/usual" time, which would have been around 6.30pm, eventhough I only had a light snack then? It's confusing. Ultimately I need to know if you take your medication with your biggest daily meals OR at a regular time regardless of how much you eat. Can any members advise me please.

Alison. X

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please ask your pharmacist - they're the experts in use of medications and most really enjoy beign able to use these skills to help people. Many chemist shops have private booths for pharmacist / patient consultations, so you won't be overheard. Some have bookable sessions, or you can ask about times that are usually quiet for a consultation.
In the meantime, patient information leaflets supplied with each medication usually include a "what do do if you forget a dose" section ie take it when you remember or take extra or just takr the next planned dose. Admittedly, usually in small print, but it's there.

Reactions: 2 people