When to tell people I have diabetes

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
im 21 and have had diabetes for 20 years. I was always told as a child to always let people know that I have diabetes, which I have continued to do. With my new job however I change locations every month and will be working with a new team for two to four weeks. My colleagues at the company I work for are all aware that I have diabetes and that it shouldn't cause any problems. However, I feel it's a little bit different with the teams I join for such a short period, even though I feel like they should know as I am supervising people alone...

Basically when do people think it is generally appropriate and not too much information to disclose? I want to tell everyone I come across but am aware that certain people may assume that it impedes on my ability to work..

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not type one but it seems to me that if you have lows that need to be treated then co-workers should know if only to avoid unnecessary panic. If you are well controlled and unlikely to have a bad low then it is probably no ones business but your own.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tough call as many people are uneducated about diabetes and will have no idea what to expect. Maybe it would be useful to have a small 'intro' (for want of a better word) practised that you could say to new co workers i.e "yes I have diabetes, yes I can do my job but just be aware ...." you would be kind of reassuring them - but also making them aware of what might happen.

I've been amazed at the lack of education many people have on diabetes - maybe if you just took a few minutes to help educate them all will be cool and not an issue.

Hope it goes well for you.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
From a T1 perspective, tell people if you feel it's necessary @isjoberg .

As someone who has never had severe hypo issues and spent the first part of my working life travelling all over the country and Europe, I generally wouldn't tell anyone when I turned up somewhere, unless I could feel that I was going low, at which point I'd reach for the Dextrosols and explain why.

That never caused me any issues.

Reactions: 2 people