1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When to tell people I have diabetes

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by isjoberg, Jul 20, 2016.

1. isjoberg

isjoberg Type 1 · Well-Known Member

im 21 and have had diabetes for 20 years. I was always told as a child to always let people know that I have diabetes, which I have continued to do. With my new job however I change locations every month and will be working with a new team for two to four weeks. My colleagues at the company I work for are all aware that I have diabetes and that it shouldn't cause any problems. However, I feel it's a little bit different with the teams I join for such a short period, even though I feel like they should know as I am supervising people alone...

Basically when do people think it is generally appropriate and not too much information to disclose? I want to tell everyone I come across but am aware that certain people may assume that it impedes on my ability to work..

2. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am not type one but it seems to me that if you have lows that need to be treated then co-workers should know if only to avoid unnecessary panic. If you are well controlled and unlikely to have a bad low then it is probably no ones business but your own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PenfoldAPD

PenfoldAPD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tough call as many people are uneducated about diabetes and will have no idea what to expect. Maybe it would be useful to have a small 'intro' (for want of a better word) practised that you could say to new co workers i.e "yes I have diabetes, yes I can do my job but just be aware ...." you would be kind of reassuring them - but also making them aware of what might happen.

I've been amazed at the lack of education many people have on diabetes - maybe if you just took a few minutes to help educate them all will be cool and not an issue.

Hope it goes well for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

From a T1 perspective, tell people if you feel it's necessary @isjoberg .

As someone who has never had severe hypo issues and spent the first part of my working life travelling all over the country and Europe, I generally wouldn't tell anyone when I turned up somewhere, unless I could feel that I was going low, at which point I'd reach for the Dextrosols and explain why.

That never caused me any issues.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook