When will I feel well

Maddiemo1

I'm fed up with feeling Ill every day, aches and pains, headache, sick and most of all so tired can hardly walk sometimes. I have only been like this since starting a low carb diet. I have been reading bits about it takes a while until your body gets used to not eating a lot of carbs.
I must say I do feel better when I do eat carbs but then my BS goes up, what can I do.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I remember you from another thread :wave:

Have you made sure you are eating enough of other things and getting your calorie intake right? I remember you are low-carbing, have you upped your fats and protein to compensate?

Perhaps if you can give us an idea of your daily food/meals we can see if we can spot something?

Maddiemo1

Well I have found a breakfast I enjoy. Coconut pancakes with home made stewed apples, dosent affect my BS. Lunch might some salad chesse mostly, and evening meat with salad small portion of potatoes sometimes have veg.
It doesn't look like much, I sometimes have some dark chocolate in the evening, but that makes me feel tired . I only drink about two teas and about three glasses of water a day, have half a TSP of sugar in my tea.
I got a bit fed up in the week and had four potatoe crotchets and I felt so much better but my BG went up to 11.3 so can't have them anymore.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinking plenty of water is very important and helps to energise you. You need more than you are currently drinking. I have about twice that amount.

If you add up your calorie intake it doesnt look like you are eating much. That would also make you tired. Do you need to lose weight?

Some of our members have very successfully dieted without getting exhausted. Its the balance of foods which is important, not just cutting calories.

Maddiemo1

No I don't want to lose any weight but I have lost about 5lbs. Can you can see where I could eat more , and about how much do you drink a day?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink about 5 mugs of tea a day and about 3 glasses of water.

There are very few calories in salad, vegetables would probably be more nourishing for you. When you say you have cheese or meat, what sort of potion size are you having, and what way is the meat cooked? Do you have butter on your veg or mayonnaise or olive oil with your salad. Your diet may be too low in fats.

I avoid spread and artificial fats. I have butter, lard and olive oil and full-fat mayonnaise. I drink milk too. I have semi-skimmed as i dont like the taste of full fat milk.

Do you have something like the Collins Gem carb counter book to help you choose filling foods which are low-carb? I use my copy every day.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's also a good idea to make sure you don;t have another medical condition that could be causing the symptoms. Are you up to date with your regular medical checkups?

I suspect that changing what and how much you eat will probably help. I eat low-ish carbs, because in the past I have tried ultra-low carbs and I felt too tired and depressed to continue. It's ok to take things slowly and gradually reduce your carbs, IMO.

It's better to do things in moderation than too be too strict and then binge, I've found.

mark196349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is a very good question reading your post i feel all of those things i work fulltime my shifts are 10.5 a day and i am a father of 2 young children a baby of 2 months and a little girl nearly 1 and a halve i get excessively tired and have recently started to fall asleep at work which is not good, i have been told i have type 2 3 weeks ago i started on metformin its a nightmare i also have IBS your question is one i ask every day i have no time to be ill life is too busy i am so pleased discovered this site as i feel its just been doctors and waiting for hospital appointments as a man of 49yrs i was totally shocked to find out i have type 2 but even more shocked at the way i feel at the moment like an old man !!!!!!!!!!!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed or changed my diet, I was exhausted all the time. A blood test revealed low D3 and just starting a supplement made me feel much more energetic. Vitamin D deficiencies are common and becoming even more common. That would be the first thing I would have checked. Even in Australia where we get plenty of sunshine, Vitamin D deficiency is becoming a major issue.

As for diet, you might find this site helpful for following LCHF. The high fat part is as important as the low carbs for wellbeing:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Also, electrolyte imbalances are quite common and add to the 'induction flu' issues of going low carb. You might do well to up your intake of salt. Drinking bouillon is a good way of getting extra salt. If you aren't on potassium-sparing blood pressure medication, you might also benefit from increased intake of potassium.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean what I think you mean by "code", then it depends on which country you're in.

The US use mg/dl and most other countries (though there are exceptions, I believe) use mmol/L. Your user manual for the meter should have instructions on how to change the default settings.

Best wishes,

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Ignatio

You might find this helpful: http://diabetes.lifetips.com/tip/114331 ... meter.html

If you need to input a code on your meter then you should find it on the tub/box of test strips.

Maddiemo

I agree with Catherine Cherub that there may be more going on and you do not want to risk your health by trial and error. Use your GP to refer you for further help.

Regards

Doug