When you're feelin' low

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Anyone got any advice for when you're feeling diabetically-related lowness?

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and missed my final uni exam and came home. I seem to fluctuate. Being stuck at home with no access to friends doesn't help either. Any advice ?

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi irishjoe

Sorry you are feeling pants, I usually plan a night out when I'm feeling low - saying that usually most of my friends are away.

Going for a walk may not sound much but the fresh air sometimes clears my head and makes me feel a bit better, other than that its usually a nice chinese and a glass or two of red...hmmm thats my option for when I'm feeling good too (or just a typical friday night :mrgreen: )

I'm on msn if you would like to offload

Take care

K

chocoholic

I do find going for a beautiful walk lifts my mood. It doesn't have to be a trek but I do find the combination of exercise, fresh air and lovely scenery always cheers me up. I don't live in a particularly nice area but most of us can find a bit of greenery or woodland not far from us and it's preferable to pill-popping. Years ago, my doc. wanted to put me on anti-depressants and he raised his eyebrows at me when I said I'd sooner go for a walk.

lionrampant

IrishJoe said:
Anyone got any advice for when you're feeling diabetically-related lowness?

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and missed my final uni exam and came home. I seem to fluctuate. Being stuck at home with no access to friends doesn't help either. Any advice ?

Call up folk from uni who are still local and arrange (pardon my choice of language folks, it's a student necessity) a ****-up. Seriously. I dunno what clubs you have where you are, but go out, have a night out. Watch your blood sugar levels obviously, but have a laugh, have a kebab, and even try to enjoy the heckling of your mates when you get slapped while trying to pull ;).

donnamum

I also suffer from diabetic lows.

My daughters diabetic and it makes me feel low.

I feel a bit trapped by it all. I have reduced work hours to be more available (my excuse anyway) and cant go anywhere during day as I have to go and do lunch time injection. School constantly ringing to ask about bloods which I often don't have the answer too.
We have been out once in 6months when she was on diabetic camp, as nobody else will look after her. We went to local Comedy shed to have a bit of a laugh and a drink or two. The comedian was type 1 and told lots of diabetic jokes...I was not amused. You just cant get away from it.

I have taken to going to the car and having a mars bar. My neighbours came around concerned I had taken up smoking to relieve the stress. I will be more than happy to have one for you. mars bar not cigarette.

Find someone with a tramploine they are great exercise and realy lift your spirits.

Hope you feel better soon.

Smile Smile Smile.

chocoholic

We have been out once in 6months when she was on diabetic camp, as nobody else will look after her

Why won't they? I hate reading of such thoughtlessness.Years ago (when I was 16), I remember asking my parents if they'd like a weekend away on their own.I have an older sister who was married by then and had left home and a disabled brother still at home.I ordered champagne and flowers for my parents hotel room and they said when they saw it they sat on the bed and wept buckets. As a child you don't pick up on your parents not having time out for themselves. My parents told me when they came home it was the first break away they'd had on their own in 21 years!!! :roll: I still find it hard to believe that no relatives offered to give my parents a break at all in 21 years because they didn't like the idea of coping with my brother, who happens to be "different".

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i too find it awfull how people would rather not bother,
i for one would look after anyone whatever they had wrong with them so the carers could get a rest,everyone needs time to let off steam,
:D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Irish low Joe,
Sorry you're feeling bad, remember being diagnosed, left my job and ended up on anti-depressants. Didn't last long though, once got my head round it all. Can't say I still don't have bad days though.
I found taking a break from everything and getting used to a new way of life on insulin soon bored me enough to get back in the swing of things!
I love the Irish, have a fab funny Cork dentist-makes me giggle so much I don't dread dental visits like I used to.! He's a complete mentalist!
Personally to ease my bad days I find a bike-ride cures my ills- even if I'm just cycling around the streets aimlessly, avoiding loony drivers, and occasionally giving the finger.
**** happens, and my family and I have had more than our fair share recently believe me. Sometimes don't know how I stay sane-maybe I'm not an I don't care!
My wonderful dentist has great advice-he says "don't think, it's a killer"!!
I hope you'll feel proud of yourself for managing your diabetes, and that will make you feel good and more able to cope.
We're always here, even if it's just for a "whine and a moan". :)
Jus x
PS. I forgot to mention, it is normal to feel low after diagnosis, might not help much, but don't expect too much from yourself coz u need time to adjust. Don't give yourself a hard-time either, it's a huge change to your life, and you need to talk about it and make people close to u understand how it's affecting you. It's all very well people saying they understand when they don't live with diabetes, but all of us on this forum DO understand, so don't be a stranger.x

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Call up folk from uni who are still local and arrange (pardon my choice of language folks, it's a student necessity) a ****-up. Seriously. I dunno what clubs you have where you are, but go out, have a night out. Watch your blood sugar levels obviously, but have a laugh, have a kebab, and even try to enjoy the heckling of your mates when you get slapped while trying to pul

LoL ! I dont really drink actually and at the moment I'm advised to take it handy with alcohol anywhere. Problem is I live in the country and dont / cant drive (told not to drive until I get it undercontrol :S)

I am going to visit my girlfirend in the UK next week which will be great but I think its the lack of people understanding what its all about. I know one person put on my facebook 'so joe I hear you're allergic to sugar these days' :evil:

I have had to read up on it all and learn stuff. Thankfully my mum is a nurse and knows more than your average punter so that helps too because for such a prevalent condition it seems that not many people understand or know about it.

Ashland

Dislikes
Constantly being asked if I'm okay! (does this happen to you?)
Same. Made me laugh :? sorry.
In fact the only danger I was ever in of being "oh diabetes, this sucks" and being properly sad got overcome really quickly by me, a couple of my mates and my dad just taking the **** out of me for it. I reckon if you learn to laugh at it, it won't get you down 99% of the time (like most things, really). And it's okay to mock diabetics now, 'cause you are one.
Like that comedian ^ in fact. I think I'd have enjoyed seeing him.
You've seen the "best medicine in the world" thread in the mind&body section, or whatever it's called - you know what I mean.
I've been diagnosed a week and a bit now, and I very quickly came to the conclusion that the universe is playing a joke on me.
Best just laughing along.