Where can i buy an Insulin Pump?

Harveer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help, i am looking into buying an insulin pump as waiting on the NHS is just taking ages and want to get my Hba1C lowered quickly as i just found out i have R2 retinopathy in my right eye and R1 in left with Maculopathy. So i want to get my HBA1C down. it has always been around 10% +

Has anyone purchased a pump outside of NHS?

Thanks in advacne.

Kind Regards,
Harveer

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
You may be able to purchase a pump outside the NHS but you WILL need a doctor's prescription for it (and supplies) as I understand.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
As far as i know Fergus above is right, if your gp will give you a prescription for one they will also probably know the best place to buy from

Harveer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys for the reply, so i will need to speak to my GP then!

Are you guys on a pump?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
no im not, good luck with the gp:)

iHs

The best people to contact regarding purchasing a pump privately will be INPUT. Pumps are expensive and the consumables are also. A pump company will need a covering letter from D consultant or GP and you would also possibly need to secure back up support from a pump trained dsn to ensure that you are able to use the pump safely.

Can I ask why you think an insulin pump will control yr bg levels better than injections? Just how often do you test yr bg at the moment?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Though a pump may help, the only way to get in control of your blood sugars would be a lifestyle/diet change and some serious reevaluation of your injection numbers.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hows your blood pressure?

This can be a big contributing factor to retinopathy........

What times of the day are you struggling with blood sugar wise?

Are you suffering from the Dawn Phenomenon...?

Sorry for all the questions....

Harveer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best people to contact regarding purchasing a pump privately will be INPUT. Pumps are expensive and the consumables are also. A pump company will need a covering letter from D consultant or GP and you would also possibly need to secure back up support from a pump trained dsn to ensure that you are able to use the pump safely.

Can I ask why you think an insulin pump will control yr bg levels better than injections? Just how often do you test yr bg at the moment?

At the moment i have been recommended for a pump due to my bg still being uncontrolled, but that seems like it will take ages. How much rough;y do pumps go for? i was under the impression it would be around £1000? and the NHS would deal with the consumables, or perhaps im being short minded.

I probably test my bg twice a day, which is a huuuge improvement as i used to test it like once every 2 months or so.

Harveer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hows your blood pressure?

This can be a big contributing factor to retinopathy........

What times of the day are you struggling with blood sugar wise?

Are you suffering from the Dawn Phenomenon...?

Sorry for all the questions....

No need to be sorry! i appreciate the help and reply s from everyone here! my blood pressure has always been very very good! luckily. with regards to my sugar levels, it just seems like every time it is high to correct it, my bg will drop allot, its constantly up and down. Which makes me think i have m,y insulin to carb ratios wrong. my ratio is 1:7carbs and take 40units levimer in the morning.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was under the impression it was more like 3000 minimum..........

i cant understand how/why you have been recommended for a pump when you only test 2 times a day.........

do you carb count?

basal bolus regime?

Harveer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do carb count and am under a basal bolus regime. How many times do you check your bg?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
before every meal, before bed...........and then I can also take readings between meals to check how my dose timing has worked with certain foods......

then there is before driving, hypos, illness, exercise........although I haven't had a hypo in about a week and don't exercise much, lol....

I ask these questions as most folk will need to have been thoroughly educated on how to carb count and more importantly adjust their dose, test their basal and so on, before a pump is considered.

Unless of course you are having lots of hypos which are affecting your life significantly, or if you are a small child etc, and then pumps can be awarded without meeting the basic education requirements....

have you had any information regarding how to effectively use a basal/bolus regime?

have you tested your Levemir recently....?

Again, more questions.......;)

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
An Animas Vibe pump, will set you back 3grand, you will then have to pay for the bits you need sets,cartridges. If you self fund the NHS won't pay for the sets or the cartridges. I test a min of 4 times a day, before meals after meals, before driving and while at work plus before bed. So you will need to test more.

Reactions: 4 people

C burns

Hav u chkd the nice guidelines? If u qualify 4 a pump then the nhs Nd to help u get 1. Try setting up a meeting with ur consultant and if all else fails, speak to ur local councillor who may be able to help u get a grant

jobo

Consumables for the pump approx £250 a month, the pump around £3000 to £4000. If you self fund I'm afraid you have to buy everything. These figures are a few years out of date as it's what I paid for my daughter

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My consumables (excluding insulin) costs about £110 a month

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You will not get a pump unless you show you are committed to regularly chackimg your bloods and doing everything you can to bring about better levels.

You may have been recommended to get a pump. However, you ate more likely to be brought up in peoples minds (that matter) if you can show them commitment.

Believe me a pump is commitment and there will never be two blood tests a day..

Please seriously think about this. I know of a friends daughter that has a pump because she was admitted numerous times to hospital for dka. She got a pump. And its sat in her wardrobe doing nothing. She will not commit to looking after herself. You must do this itherwise a pump will be useless to you.