Where did that come from ?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I'm still fairly new at this T1 game, except it is not a game.
I woke at 07:20 got up, checked bloods which was 5.1, not too bad for an overnight fast. Pulled on shorts and a T and went out to bring dustbin back to house - bin day. Bin was only 20 yards away. Whilst walking to the bin my eyesight became blurred, I started to shake and realised I was having a hypo. I got back to the house and again checked bloods, 1.7. How can this be ?
5.1 at 7:30 and 1.7 at 8:05. How did this happen? Recovery undertaken and now all is fine - feeling rough but all is fine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, that is scary. I hope someone comes along to make suggestions.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One idea comes to mind.. Possible morning low before waking causing a "liver dump" raising & peaking at "5.1", then the activity took,what was left. Which may have been on the down turn anyway...?

I could be talking bin bags..!? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a basal/bolus regime? If so, do you give yourself your basal in the morning? If so, is it possible you accidentally put short acting in the pen instead of long acting? I have made that mistake before! As you are new to diabetes you might still be producing a small amount of insulin. If your pancreas decided to be a bit more efficient than usual this morning, and added some unexpected fast acting to the mix, that could explain it.

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Charles Robin
Thx for your message.
I am on Humalogmix 25, twice a day, and can understand concern about a sudden temporary revival in insulin output from my pancreas. I suppose that it can happen during a honeymoon period, not sure that I am in a honeymoon period but it is something I need to watch out for. I've been on humalogmix25 for almost a year now and levels can be somewhat erratic particularly mid day levels. I see DNS on 16 September, something on my list for her a question about moving to basal/ bolus regime.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Charles Robin
Thx for your message.
I am on Humalogmix 25, twice a day, and can understand concern about a sudden temporary revival in insulin output from my pancreas. I suppose that it can happen during a honeymoon period, not sure that I am in a honeymoon period but it is something I need to watch out for. I've been on humalogmix25 for almost a year now and levels can be somewhat erratic particularly mid day levels. I see DNS on 16 September, something on my list for her a question about moving to basal/ bolus regime.

Blimey.

How you feeling now?

My prescription - eat a snack on rising. And never take the rubbish out again...

That drop is scary fast.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Lol @Brunneria,
It wasn't even my bin ! I help some neighbours and will continue.
It was the depth of the drop In such a short time that caught me by surprise, it is only my 4th hypo so it's not like I'm an expert on any of this. My previous low was a 3.0 and hypo very mild compared to this mornings. I recovered fairly quickly, had an easyish day and will be emailing my DNS with details. Managing not to eat everything in sight so,that's a bonus. Lol.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alanp35 ,

In fairness you knew what it was & you dealt with it.. That's expert enough in my book! ;)

It maybe wise to carry some sweets just in case when you pop out..

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the opposite a couple of days ago, woke up with blurred vision, sweaty, took BG 1.7, went to get some fast acting gel before taking it felt really cool tested again 5.2.
Well it certainly keeps us busy

Reactions: 3 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
@Alanp35 ,

In fairness you knew what it was & you dealt with it.. That's expert enough in my book! ;)

It maybe wise to carry some sweets just in case when you pop out..
Thx Jaylee
I always carry a small bag with all that I may need whenever I leave the house - might struggle a little if I needed to amputate a leg but ......................
We just need to be aware, so many things of which we need to be aware.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to why bg can suddenly drop or go high, basal/bolus is a much better insulin regime to be on and you should ask about it when you see your dsn Alan.

Reactions: 4 people

mark4785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm still fairly new at this T1 game, except it is not a game.
I woke at 07:20 got up, checked bloods which was 5.1, not too bad for an overnight fast. Pulled on shorts and a T and went out to bring dustbin back to house - bin day. Bin was only 20 yards away. Whilst walking to the bin my eyesight became blurred, I started to shake and realised I was having a hypo. I got back to the house and again checked bloods, 1.7. How can this be ?
5.1 at 7:30 and 1.7 at 8:05. How did this happen? Recovery undertaken and now all is fine - feeling rough but all is fine.

It could be that your meter provided you with an erroneous result of 1.7. Meters can usually do this if you don't fill the strip completely with blood or if the strip gets contaminated in some way.

Additionally, when you wake in a morning, you may feel quite groggy and it may take a while to get going. If this is the case, it might be that your body was using more glucose up to do basic things like putting a t-shirt on, walking, pulling a bin etc.

If you want to achieve some awareness regarding what your blood sugar trend is over a given time I'd highly advice that you do 2 blood tests 10 minutes a part. If there is a downward trend, as there was on your "dustbin day", it might be worth eating some carbohydrate (i.e. in the form of digestive) to provide some much needed fuel.

lynnanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I need some help please. I have been new diagnosed as a diabetic and have been trying very very hard to improve my readings. My waking up readings for the past month is always > 6.6 despite having lower readings after dinner and not eating anything after that. Please anyone advise how I can reduce the readings? Also, as a T2, how often should I check my readings.
Many thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I need some help please. I have been new diagnosed as a diabetic and have been trying very very hard to improve my readings. My waking up readings for the past month is always > 6.6 despite having lower readings after dinner and not eating anything after that. Please anyone advise how I can reduce the readings? Also, as a T2, how often should I check my readings.
Many thanks.
Hi and welcome!

You will find this forum is a wonderful source of info, and the members are usually very helpful!

I'm sorry, but this morning (bank hol) I'm a bit short of time to answer your questions, but there is masses of info already in different threads.

Have a play witht he search function and cruise the type 2 and newcomer threads. Your questions will be answered very quickly, and you may pick up some interesting extras too! :)